7 string fretless modulus on ebay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt R Miller, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dunno, looks like a modded 6er; see how the first three tuners on each side are symmetrical, and the D looks tacked on up on the headstock, past the G tuner?

That, and I'm rather sure Modulus has said flat out they'll never make a 7.
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, I dunno, either. The logo does look a little strange and yeah, the headstock tuner spacing is odd. Modulus told me at NAMM a few years ago that they don't have a mold for 7 necks and therefore didn't offer one and had no plans to offer one. I would think a one-off would be mad pricey. But you never know... :eyebrow:
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, they did make that one of...uh, 18? 15? stringer for someone (Allen Woody, I believe, but I'm not sure). Maybe they'd make a 7.
  5. I assume that if someone had hacked a bass & was trying to pass it off as a custom/prototype or whatever, the manufacturer would be keen to help ascertain/invalidate the claim.
  6. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'm sure they would if someone was willing to pay for the custom mold! ;) These things ain't cheap, BTW. But, as in all things, money talks. :D
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    As I remember, it was something like $25,000 to get a mold set up, or some such. Or was there even another zero in that price tag I forgot?
  8. Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I've seen a few Quantums that have had the word 'Modulus' written in that smaller font at the end of the neck, but never one that had the snowflake dead center in the headstock. Although, it would have to be moved to accomodate the seventh tuner, so I guess it makes sense that it would be where it is.

It actually looks like a legit custom one-off to me. If it is, I'd love to see what the original price tag was - it's my understanding that Modulus doesn't care much for doing anything custom that's not in their catalogue.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    I think that even more wild than the fact of the bass is that the dude says he was jammin' with Mr. Baker himself!

Now that is definetly major cool(if true of course)...

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    It could be as simple as taking a six string neck, and then cutting the holes for 7 tuning pegs. I'm inclined to believe the story simply because all of the tuners appear to have a straight pull from the nut.

If they had simply added another tuner, the string config would look asymmetrical.
  11. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    "fretlines will make transition to fretless transparent" /quote

wanker ^^^^^^^^^^^
  12. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    hard to belive that some1 molded a graphite neck (a modulus look a like) to be fit in a modulus body to then sell it for just $3400 USD. Mold just one unit of something made of graphite can be really pricy
  13. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Hmmmm.... that's disappointing. One of my potential "ventures" next year was going to be to see if Modulus would make me a Flea bass with a dual MM configuration, and either an additional string tree, or an angled headstock.... maybe I can persuade them...... me love you long time?
  14. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I'm pretty sure they could do the extra pickup and string-tree without too much hassle.

The 7 definitely looks like the neck is made for a 6 string, but has a new nut, bridge and extra tuner. If it wasn't Modulus, it was one hell of a clever luthier that did it!

15. Let me see if I can help shed some light on this. To ME, it looks like the 7 string head stock IS wider. If you look at the spacing between A & D tuners on my 6 string and the same tuners on the 7, you'll notices mine are alot tighter. Plus the bottom of the headstock right before it goes into the nut seems wider.

I think it is possible that its a prototype. Everything starts as a prototype. I'm sure there was a time where you couldve called Modulus us and they wouldve said "No, we are not planning on making a 6 string" and look now..

7 string headstock

my 6 string headstock (sorry for blury picture)
  16. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    looks legit to me...
  17. Yeah, me too. If not, the guy who did it is slick for sure.
  18. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    The neck looks legit... I dont think it's an actual "Mod" neck, but a Graphite neck none the less... The Body however looks terrible... The Body color doesnt look nearly as good as the ones from modulus...

And I bet that its like 7 string with 13mm String spacing @ the bridge :meh:

I doubt that thing is worth more than $500
  19. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Well, I'm sure it is a Modulus neck. That random looking pattern is not what carbon fiber actually looks like. It is a final decorative layer applied for looks only. Modulus developed it; they call it "KLD" - short for "a thousand ladies dancing". And it is a patented trademark. Very early Modulus guitars and basses don't have it; they look just like the typical woven appearance you see in carbon fiber car and motorcycle parts, and that is exactly what a current Modulus neck would look like if you stripped off that one final layer.

The current line up of Quantums includes a wide-spaced five that is just a Q6 body and neck drilled for five tuners and a five string bridge, so I don't think that a "Q7" would be all that hard to come by. The spacing looks really narrow, so I'm sure it's just a Q6 neck. I've had a couple of the tuners out of my Q6, and the tuner holes are not cast into the neck; you can see that the headstock is produced initially with no holes, and the holes are drilled later in production. So it'd just take a small interruption of the normal building and assembly process to do something like this. I'm sure they charged more than a few bucks to do it, though.

As far as the shape of the headstock, there are slight variations between the earlier necks with no truss rod, the later models with a truss rod, and the neck-through models. This one's obviously not a neck-through, but aside from that the seller doesn't mention the year it was built or if it has a truss rod.

Worth more than $500.....absolutely. I personally would not pay $3400 for it. I couldn't live with spacing that narrow.

And BTW.......Quantum owners....in case you ever wondered, the Quantum headstock IS hollow, just like the rest of the neck. So, even though carbon fiber is very tough stuff, you might not want to get too carried away tightening your tuner nuts.
  20. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I'm pretty sure Bobby Vega has something similar to this bass.