Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

7 String, Graphite Neck...Wouldya?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boogiebass, Aug 7, 2003.

1. YES

13 vote(s)
    72.2%
  2. NO

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Are you interested in one and would you potentially buy one? Just trying to see if there's any market. Thanx!

2. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Love graphite necks and I can always use more strings.

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Sure!

Although I prefer wood necks I wouldn't outright dismiss a composite one.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Definitely.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I like graphite but that's one more string than my probation officer allows.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Very interesting replies, guys! I am definitely pondering the possibilities...

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I heard a rumor about Zon a while back. Just once, and that was it. I dunno about Moses, Gould, Clover (I think those are the guys who use graphite...). I know modulus has said "no" to 7s for good.

I know Basslab would make one, though they're not so much graphite/carbon fiber as synthetic.

8. If I were thinking about a 7-string composite neck -- which I do, in rare moments of lunacy :p -- I'd go with Curbow, who's already building them.

Mike

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I play a 5 now.

A couple extra strings wouldn't hurt.

Price has to be right, though.

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    A Hanewinckel is a definite possibility but Pete would need to sell 4 or 5 of them to make the cost of the mold feasible. We've had extensive discussions and he's essentially ready to do it but there's a very real need to determine whether or not he could sell enough to make it worthwhile. I will buy one, myself. But not, of course, at any cost and not if I have to eat the whole cost of a custom mold...

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Although I could be off on this estimate, I imagine list would be around $3500 or thereabouts with discounts bringing it down around 3 or maybe even less, depending on options, etc. It would be a Hanewinckel so you can check Pete's site to get a rough idea of what his 7's go for. hanewinckelguitars.com

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks, Mike! I did not know that. I'll have to take a look at what they're doing, I suppose.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Greg built my favorite 7 of all time, a black fretless that was at the LA Bass Exchange.

[​IMG]

14. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I second Mike's suggestion of a Curbow (big shock, I know).

I played Dave Pomeroy's 7 string All-Rockwood Curbow Petite when Greg had it in the shop. It weighed about 1000lbs, but I think it was probably the punchiest, tightest sounding 7 string I've ever heard. I imagine that it's the best recording 7 string on the planet.

An added benefit of having Greg make a 7 string neck out of Rockwood is that you don't have to worry about having a standard neck profile since it doesn't have to come from a mold. He can make a neck that is super thin, and yet rigid as anything you've ever played.

I'll see if I can scrounge up some pics.

15. I don't think he's built all that many, but I've seen a handful at least. For some reason, a lot of them seem to be XT33's, so that's 33 frets _and_ 7 strings...

Mike

16. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    This one is an M bass. I have more pics at home, so I'll update the gallery when my DSL is reactivated. It should be some time this weekend, I hope.

[​IMG]

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'd take issue with that comment :)

to answer the original thread, sure, why not? i'd give it a try. :)

18. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That's why we can get ice cream in flavors besides vanilla, right? :bassist:

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    vanilla was enough for jaco.

20. :rolleyes: Shoulda seen that one coming...

Mike