Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

7 String Jazz Bass in Atlanta, GA

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Feb 19, 2003.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    On Monday, Dave Siff and I went around to a couple of music stores. Galaxy Music out near Stone Mountain has a Lyrical Lumber 7 string Jazz Bass listed for $1395.

I thought I'd mention it here in case someone was interested. I'm pretty sure that Gard has two Lyrical Lumber 6 strings, but I could be mistaken.

It was heavy--think the body is walnut, but I'm not sure. Clean ebony board with no front dots.
    Bartolini pickups. I didn't plug it in because the neck was pretty chubby, so I don't know how it sounds.

Just an FYI for the seven and up crowd.

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    No no no no no no no no no no no no no!!!!!

I wouldn't touch a Lyrical Lumber bass with YOUR 10 foot pole!

:spit: :spit:

I have two Guitar Factory 6's.

The LL's are made here in Orlando, but they aren't even in the same species as the GF's.

3. hasn't John Turner bought it yet? :D

Oh, right, it's not a Conklin.

4. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

:eek:
    Well, see--that's why I left that "But, I could be mistaken" part in my original post. :D

At least I got the city right.

And, don't get any ideas about my pole while you are in town for the Get Together, Missy. :meh:

5. Those "Lyrical Lumber" Jazz 7's are really just a Warmoth Wide-5 Jazz with a couple extra strings squeezed on, aren't they?

Mike

6. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hmmm. It had a 5 piece neck. That much I remember. It didn't seem like the spacing was really tight, though. The neck was like a baseball bat, though. Chunkier than a Warwick.

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    The ones I've played had custom Warmoth wide 5 string necks that were ordered with the headstock undrilled.

Unimpressive...

8. Yep, that would be the Warmoth Wide-5 neck. That was the first really wide spaced 5 I owned, and I actually liked the bulk as well as the extra width. The low B kinda sucked on both the ones I've owned, though.

Mike

9. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    The low B seemed kinda floopy on this one, too. One of the reasons I never bothered to plug it in.

Still, I thought a used 7 string Jazz bass was interesting enough to merit a thread.

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oh, it is, even if that thread just consists of bashing it. :D :spit:

i might have to go on over there, just to check it out and test my intestinal fortitude.

11. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    If it has an old Kahler bridge with most of the goldplate missing then I've probably played that one when it was still in FL years and years ago. I remember it being very, very heavy, with a uncomfortably thick neck, protruding fretends, and a floppy b-string.

12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I got practice off of Lawrenceville hwy later tonight... any chance that Galaxy is open upto or past 7pm? I would like to check it out... just to see it in person.

13. Anybody got a pic of one of these?

14. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    thats what i was gonna ask for.. PICS PICS PICS!

The Atelier Z 6 Jazz Bass looked sweet

DM

15. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
  16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    he's cool. why do you ask?

17. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    he's really fond of the intestinal fortitude line. i always steal his jokes for use at work.

18. YinandYang

YinandYang Guest

Jun 20, 2004
    Florida
    Whats wrong with Lyrical Lumber basses. I personally think that Bill Covert is a genius.

19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've played that LL Jazz 7, and it was, well, there. It didn't wow me in any way, but it wasn't my brand of vodka either.