Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

7-string measurements?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tim Barber, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    First-time poster here. This seems like a great forum :). I'm starting a new project building a 7-string bass. Guitar Center here had a Conklin Groove Tools GT-7 for a while which I tried out and liked, but it got sold and now there isn't one at any store in town I can look at. Would it be possible for a 7-string owner to measure their string spacing (center to center) at the nut and bridge to get me in the ballpark? I really dislike spacing less than 18mm at the bridge, but even 18mm would give a total width of about 4.25" (108mm) at the bridge with 7 strings, which seems pretty wide. I'm interested in the compromise width actual 7-strings are being produced at to keep playability. Oh, and also do they have one truss rod or two? This will be my 6th homebuilt bass so I'm not a novice, but all the others were 4-bangers so this is somewhat new territory. Any and all advice appreciated.

2. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    Groove Tool spec

This link might help a bit. I think that the groove tool 7 string is 16.5mm at the bridge and around 9mm at the nut. Stay close to these measurement if you liked the the GT-7.

Hipshot as 2 7 string bridges, both around 17mm. ABM has a wide and narrow bridge for the 7. Check Allpart, they might have them listed with measurement.

if you're looking for pickups, I might have a pair for you.... if you go for a narrow bridge spacing!

take care
    PL

3. I have a 17.5mm on my fretless Sei bass 7 string which gives me 105mm at the bridge. This is quite narrow but as I do not slap with this bass it is ok. I can do any other style with ease.

Regarding the bridge for my bass I had individual ABM bridges fitted so the width was not a problem. I had Bart G6 pickups fitted which were wide enough for the 17.5 string spacing.

Attached picture shows the bridge set up.

Good luck with the project and keep us informed on progress with lots of pictures.:D

4. Tim Barber

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Wow - thanks for the replies. Matthew, that's a sweet looking bass. Is the top myrtle wood or maple?

I'm also going to be using individual bridges like the ones here, and a spalt maple top over mahogany for the body. I'm still bidding on the top wood on eBay... check it out here.

Every time I build an instrument, I tell myself "never again until I get a proper woodshop". But the itch keeps coming back...

5. The individual bridges look really good and give very good flexibility which is why I got them. You can also have piezos in them if you want. I did this and it gives me even more choices.

The wood is a pale buckeye burl which I especially chose over the internet, I did not want the dark green/blue you normally get.

The piece you are bidding for looks really cool and I cant wait to see some pics.

If you want to see more of my bass with full specs it is under the thread "my 7 string fretless SEI has arrived"

Have fun with the build.

Regards

Matthew

6. I'll take it you didn't finish the bass :'(!!!!!!!
    Thanks
    Troy

7. Tim Barber

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Wow, this is an old thread! Yeah, I didn't finish that project as such; got busy doing other things. I do have two 6-strings in the works though.

8. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    So what's with digging up the pre-historic threads all teh sudden Tim? haha... for a mintue I thought you had changed your mind and wante dto build a 7-banger!