Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

7 string+ players...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bacid, Sep 20, 2005.

1. I was looking on the at the custom basses on the Conklin website and I was thinking, "I wonder if you ever get scared that those high strings will just hit you in the face one day, for no good reason?" So. Do your high strings break easily, they look teeny, and they are under some serious tension. I've done some popping and slapping on some 6 strings and I was scared that the high C was going to break. I assume that strings higher than that would be in greater danger of some serious breakage, might even send someone to the hospital. I dunno, maybe I'm paranoid. Also, what guages do you use for the strings beyond the C?

2. ive never broken a string on my 7, and i play rather agressively. so to answer your question, no.

3. Awesome, what guage are your strings?

4. i wish i could tell you, but to be honest, i dont know. im still using the set it came with.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I played a seven pretty exclusively for a little over a year, and only broke the high F string once (it was a .20 gauge, IIRC). Like most strings that break for me, the winding came uncoiled at the bridge.

Bass strings aren't under that much tension- the fact that you can pluck them easily will show that. Ever try plucking some of the higher piano strings? Now THOSE could hurt you if the broke in the right way while your head was in there.

6. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    In my 20 or so years playing a 7 string bass,I've never broken a string.I also use a .20 for The F string.
    I can remember a lower string breaking once or twice over the years on my 4 strings.
    Where it gets a bit nerve racking is tuning up to Eb4 or higher on .008 or thinner strings.
    In developing the G4 and Ab4 plain steel strings at 32",I have had countless strings break.They usually fly towards the bridge but I find myself turning my head away as they approach the pitch.I never seem to get used to the process. Tuning an .007 string to Ab4 on a 30" scale bass can really get some tension going,but i have never had a string hit me in the face while tuning it up.