Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

7 string sets

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by netvampire, Jun 10, 2004.

1. netvampire

netvampire

Apr 22, 2004
    Australia
    :crying: Anyone here know were you can get 7 string sets that ship overseas, i have seen the conklin snakeskins and DM sr2000 but not here in Aus :mad: :mad:

2. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    But you can ask for these two packs to be shipped from Conklin and Dean Markley. In fact, try and contact conklin about getting SIT strings, I'm very curious abou trying them since I'm not very happy with the SR2000 will lee sig. I actually got a low F# wound by David Brummet from Dean markley, under his private name Basso strings, sounds great but lacks tension. 150' is not enough on a 34" scale.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I would ask Ken Smith

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've used custom gauge dean markley strings for a long time, but i am in the process of changing over to sit. the new conklin snake skin strings are sit and they use my gauges (tried to get bill to put my initials at least on the packages, since he got the gauge sizes from me, hehheh). i use a 165 for my low f# and it's great.

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    WOW. .165... that's HUGE !

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Are the sr2000's still the same? I liked those, so I hope so.

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the sr2000s are still the same, although i've had a few quality control issues with some of the strings i've gotten in bulk.

sit is just an easier company for me to deal with, and they are more flexible with making the bigger strings to order. DM got to be a bit of a pain when it came to the big strings.

8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I have noticed that with certain sets the strings last forever and others I'll break one or two. I thought maybe it was seasonal. ;)

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh, no. i haven't broken any in a LONG time (over 13 years) but i have pulled strings out of the bag and they were dead in my hands. felt like limp noodles. maybe 4 or 5 out of 50 sets of strings, so maybe a bit more than 1 %. like i said, maybe i just got lucky.

10. musiciansfriend has the conklin side winder sets for a more attractive price than direct from Conklin

:bassist:

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Which SIT strings are the snakeskins?

12. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    But should get just the right amount of tension, the 150" I got only gets to my likes at around G#. :meh:

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Labella makes a nice 7 set and, as has been pointed out, so does Ken Smith. The Smiths (MD) have an unwound high F, if that makes any difference. I would imagine juststrings.com would ship to AUS.

14. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY