Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

7 String Sound Samples

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boogiebass, Mar 8, 2003.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Since several people asked for 'em, here you go. Please forgive the sloppy, haphazard playing. I left the Roscoe sample a bit distorted because I wanted to show its relative output level when compared to the others. All samples recorded through a SABDI jacked into the board onto ADAT. Mixed down to CD with compression. All basses were set totally flat, no boost or cut, and volume was all the way up. Both p/u's selected equally. The Hanewinckel is really voiced strangely compared to the others, which may explain why it sounds so good when you start adjusting the onboard preamp! The Hane and Roscoe have Ken Smith Tapercore Custom Balance stainless strings, the Conklin wears Dean Markley SR2000's and the Elrick sports plain ol' D'Addario XL's.

Elrick Gold Standard 7

Hanewinckel Artist Fusion 7

Conklin Sidewinder 7

Roscoe SKB 3007

2. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Hey, that's cool! Once again I'm gettin' my money's worth at TB. I get to compare all these awesome basses without the cost of buying them. I like the Hanie, cuz it seems the least bright.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Glad to be of service. Even with half-assed playing, you can hear what these instruments sound like, I think.

4. I like the playing. :D

I'm really GASing hard for a Bill Dickens signature model Groove Tools 7. I certainly like the tone of the Conklin...and the Hanie....and the Roscoe....and the Elrick.

5. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    The Hanewinkel sounded great it had very phat and good focused sound and the Roscoe lived also up to it's reputation with it's high output:)

The Conklin was very nice also because of the gritty highs, the Elrick was not good IMHO it sounded thin and had no character.

Boogie that's great that you did that:D

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks, Dave. You know, I think Bass Alone still has that sweet BD7 that Jared owns on consignment. Stunning inlay work and the thing sounds really GOOD and plays nice, too.

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Glad you found it useful, man. The Elrick definitely suffers set flat when compared with the others. But it has a really nice top-end when you goose it up with the preamp and have it up to volume in a gig situation. And, man, that thing weighs next to nothing!

8. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    are you considering selling one of these basses??

P.S. Hanewinkel's home page??

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    No! Absolutely not. I'm totally set on these four for the time being. I gig with all of them in rotation depending on the room and my whims!

But I'll have to check out the Hane site. Something of interest there, eh? :D

10. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Cool Post. I like the Hane best, then the Roscoe. I agree with what was said earlier about the Elrick. It seemed lifeless. The Conklin sounded like the US Conklin I used to own. I didn't like mine much though it played nice.

11. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Yes I'm very interested in the Hanewinkel, it may be the 7 string I've been searching for all these years. Have you any 7 string fretlesseseses also?

12. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    After listening again, I REALLY like the Hane. Great sound. What's the specs, p/u's woods etc?

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The Hane is definitely my favorite, too, Peter. In addition to tone, I find its playability superior. And extremely fast neck and a very comfortable bass.

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    It's a solid flame maple body with a bird's eye maple board and a 5 piece maple/morado neck. Bart soapbars with 3 band pre and selectable mids. 34" scale. Here's a a couple of pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    No, my only multi-string fretless right now is a Roscoe 6.

16. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Oh no you shouldn't have done that, that bass is just toooooooo cooooooool..... well now it's back to being single again;)

17. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Thanks for the spec. With that combination, I would have never guessed it would have been so warm and fat. Typically, most 7 strings sound thin and nasty to me, but yours has such a great sound I guess I just haven't played a good one yet:) One of the best tones I've heard regardless of the string count. As good as that one sounds, if I owned it, I wouldn't bother to take any of the rest out.

18. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    is it NT or BO??:confused:

19. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks, yeah, it's hard to leave the Hane home on gigs but I do like variety and the others have different things to offer. But, as I said, it's definitely my favorite and suits me better than the others, no question. I was pretty stunned when I got it especially considering how Pete's basses just don't seem to get the kind of attention that some of the others do.

20. Yeah, they've got that BD-7 and another with an upgraded ABM bridge. Both are used, and it appears that they're asking more than the price of a new one. I guess I can understand that since they're upgraded and all that, but I don't think those particular mods are worth the extra money to me.

Of course, I'd probably get myself a Hanewinckel if I could afford it! :D