7 string string sets...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I'm getting a GT7 in four weeks, and I can't find any strings besides Smiths for 7's. Are there any good stainless roundwounds (I like em rough, like rotosounds) that have 7 string sets?
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Dean Markley Sr2000's Will Lee set, I believe

Both are available on juststrings.com
  3. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    In addition to the Smith's, there are SIT Power Steels for Conklin. Available from Conklin or Bassguitarstrings.us. Not cheap, but made to Conklin's specs.

4. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    I buy a 4 string set and then individuals for the low B and high C and F. I do this for a few reasons:

1) I am a real miser when it comes to buying strings since I don't gig professionally anymore (i.e. for $$$).

2) buying individual strings gives you more flexibility. I've plpayed 6 string bass for over 11 years. When I started, there were no 6 string sets. As they started to come out, the gauges were just crazy. And I like to keep 'em light. I find that with ERB's, the less tention on the neck, the better they respond.

3) When you buy sets for instruments > 4 strings, the price gets jacked up. This is pure marketing and you really get no extra value from buying a ERB set other than convenience (if you don't agree with point #2 above.

Having said this, high F's might be a bit of a problem as indies sell down to .025's anf for an F you probably should be a bit lower than that. So you can either play with a heavy F or use an extra-long guitar string at about .022.
  5. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I buy 5 string SS Lakland sets from Lakland direct, which are actually GHS Super Steels. I use those on both my Laklands. For my Elrick 7, I order single c and f strings from Juststrings.com, and just add them to one of the Lakland 5 string sets. Works great. :bassist:
  6. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Labella also offers a packaged set of steel 7's.
  7. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    Using the Will Lee gauge SR-2000's on my Conklin custom and I really like the tone, balance and longevity. I tried the Smith's, but they weren't as good a match, at least on my instrument. May have something to do with the extreme taper on the SR-2000's. (They almost look like exposed core strings.)

Just remember that with strings "your mileage may vary" so be prepared to experiment. It will cost a couple of bucks but is worth it in the long run. It's your ears and sense of touch that you have to please.

FWIW the SR-2000's have a texture you can grab, though nothing has a texture like Roto's. (On the other hand I don't miss needing a fret file every 6 months.)
  8. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    I was just checking the conklin strings on Bassguitarstrings.us and I wonder why the E-string has to be 110 ? It seems like a very thick gauge compared to the other strings in the same set - anybody knows ???