Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

7-String Tunings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cyklone777, Jan 25, 2001.

1. I've been looking for this everywhere, but could someone tell me *** those Conklin Groove Tools 7-string basses are tuned to?? It's been bugging me forever.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, i've tuned mine to various tunings over the past 7 or 8 years, F#-B-E-A-D-G-C, B-E-A-D-G-B-E, and E-A-D-G-C-E-A. my main tuning is B-E-A-D-G-B-E, but then again i don't play the GT's, mine are all custom :D.

most guys tune the 7's B-E-A-D-G-C-F.

3. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Yeah John, but real men tune in 5ths! ;)

4. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    Yea, but....men with years of guitar experience can tune like a 7-string guitar(b-e-a-d-g-b-e) and GO TO TOWN on one of these babies!!

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I suppose that's okay if the guitarist is a frustrated bass player;)

I tune mine in 4ths.

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    funny thing, i never played guitar before i played my 7's, now i've been getting into classical guitar some. sorta backwards from what i've heard.

7. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    Brad, I played KEYBOARDS for 30 years before switching to bass(for the sheer love of the instrument) Yes,I could "drop some names" but the main thing is that I've always played every kind of instrument I could get my hands on, including guitar, But I love the role and sound of the bass! The 7-string thing is an added bonus. The only frustrations I have reguarding music is that a lifetime is way too short to do all the musicial stuff I'd like to!

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I was joking, Slapdaddy. I tune mine like a piano... in half steps.

B B+ C C# D D# (sometimes Eb) and E.

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    My previous (to yours)post was a weak turn on the old "bass players are frustrated guitarist" thing...apparently very weak ;)

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i caught that, brad. honest :D

i was just saying - it seems strange to me that i was never interested in guitar at all, and yet i've liked the guitar-like tuning of my basses so much that it sorta got me into guitar.

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I'd guess it'd be easier to do standard guitar chords and voicings with guitar tuning. Nothing wrong with that.

Wonder if I can get bulk pricing on 7 HipShot D-tuners?;) Watch out, Manthing.

12. I tune mine BEADGCF and I have played some guitar before while the guitar tuning makes many good open chords we can't play these chords. So if you play in the middle of the neck the guitar tuning requires at least 3 different fingerings for the same chord depending on what strings you play the chord on. So I like fourths if you tuned in fifths you would only need 5 strings for the same range but your chords may be limited by the size of your hands. Fourths rule!

13. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    I thought the "tuned in 4ths;tuned in 5ths thing was a joke(as in just pulling your leg) Going the direction of the floor or "down" the tuning is 5ths. The opposite direction, towards the ceiling or "up" is in 4ths. If I am wrong please be gentle........

14. Oh so it has a higher string...that's actually what I wanted to know :) I wasn't really planning on getting one, just curious!

15. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    777, It(GT-7) can have a higher or lower string than a 6-string bass,i.e. the 'big' string can be an F# or the 'little' string can be an F following the 'traditional' tuning of a bass. Brad jokingly suggested tuning in half-steps but that does exemplify that with the proper guage string one can tune any way one pleases.

[Edited by SlapDaddy on 01-27-2001 at 03:17 PM]