Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

7 String...Useful or Ego?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alembicfive, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Definitely Useful!

32 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Ego......goes good with my BMW!

40 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Do you think I'm lame for asking such a stupid question?

16 vote(s)
    18.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    I have noticed allot more players in this forum with 7 string basses....yes 7 strings. I have to ask, WHY? Is a 7 string really necessary and/or useful or is it some sort of primitive ego thing? Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against extended range basses, But 7 strings??? Now I have a 6-string of my own. It is fun to use when taking a solo, but not much more. I don't do much chord work (I leave that to the guitar and keys) and it useless to get down to any serious slapping. (I use my 5-strings for that). Plus the neck width makes it uncomfortable for long sets (I know I am not the only one that says this about these wide neck basses). I also have to wonder about the finger length of the players using them. Unless you have the fingers of Louis Johnson, how do you smoothly play one of these things? Now I know you 7'ers will flame me....but I gotta ask!

2. If I was being completely honest I would say both USEFUL and EGO.

USEFUL because the extra range is USEFUL and you end up with a lot of permatations on where to play on the neck as well as a very wide octave range. I am still learning how to use it but it is definately useful.

EGO. Yes there is a bit of that as well. When I ordered it, I tried to build my ultimate bass and as 7 strings were for me unusual and very different I went for that. Most people who see it can't believe it is 7 strings and they have to do a double take. Normally the conversation goes "Is that a 6 string you have there, I have one of those/played one of those, good aren't they. [TAKES ANOTHER LOOK AND PAUSES] Oh It has 7 strings...." etc etc].

I would say that it does not matter how many strings you have of how mush your bass costs but can you play and keep the groove going.

Also some of the custom basses out there are things of great beauty and pieces of art. It is nice to be able to own a bass in that catagory and just playing it is a pleasure in it's own right.

On the neck width, I have long fingers so I do not find it a problem.

Matthew

3. I think it's useful, assuming you can handle the neck width. I don't have small hands, but even some sixes are too wide for comfort for me.

I'd love to play a 7 string. You get great range from it. If you've got the hands and ability to play 7, 8 or even 9 strings, go for it.

I'm of the school that guitar player ego is usually much more prevalent (at least it was when I started playing).

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    This is such a stupid question. Download even one of our very own John Turner's songs , and tell me YOU could do that on a 4 string. Just get a 7 string if you want 7 strings. Play 4 strings(Or anything in between) if you want to. The end.

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

Im compensating.....

That's why I have two.

In fact, I have to compensate to such an extent that I was forced to order a custom 8 string from Conklin Guitars...

Poor me....

:(

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I wouldnt say it is a stupid question, but I gotta agree with Polly.

Give a alisten to the sound clip attached to the signature of one of John Turner's posts to see how a 7 can be put to good use.

Peace
    Nick

7. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    i can't stand 5s.. so i stick to 4s

D

8. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I only use 4 strings but...
    [​IMG]

This bass can sure be an Ego addition

D

9. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i am with polly. i am pretty tired of the jaco only needed 4 and the like comments from some of the people around here. there a 2 types of bassists. people who are comfortable keeping with tradition and occasionally likes to push the limits ie. me and dark mazda(sorry dark i could be wrong) and then there are guys like stewmc and jt and jauquo. these guys tkae bass to the next level. pushing those limits all the time. i am happy doing my thing and i am sure they are happy doin their thing. now sit down and have a conversation with mr. turner or jauquo. 2 of the nicest most humble cats on the planet. so no there is no more ego involved than a guy who refuses to play anything but a pre-cbs jazz bass.

10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA

You have never seen or heard bill dickens have you.

11. Im no way good enough to play on a 7 string but Id love to have a go some day. If people think thats the right bass for them, then thats cool by me. I respect people who use seven + strings for exploring new ways of bass playing. It doesnt necessarily need ego, just self confidence

12. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    JT = the man. he should pop up here sooner or later. I personally want an 8 string, with 3 octave fretboard, similar to JT's fretted one, to go where guitars rarely go, and many basses don't. my lineup I hope to have someday: current 4 string, really good 4, fretless 4, and an 8....

13. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Why do people seem to have this misconception that in order to "rightfully" play a multistring bass that you/they have to meet some sort of "minimum technical ability score"??

At it's simplest, a bass is a tool same as a circular saw, or a drill.... The fact that my drill has 50 bits and yours only 25 in no way means Im a better carpenter than you... It simply means that I can drill a more diverse variety of holes... Will I use ALL those bits ALL the time? No... but they're there if I do need them...

Mark

14. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I think he means he doesn't have the skill to play it very well, not that he's not qualified to do so.....

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    100% Ego. Especially CONKLIN 7-Strings. :D

16. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    [Eric Cartman]

SCREW YOU HIPPIE!!!!!

[/Eric Cartman]

:p

;)

17. Let me get this right. You play a 6, yet you question a 7.

Well, I question your 6.;)

...and I don't understand.

Geoff

18. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Sorry dude, that was aimed at JT....you just got hit by "friendly fire". :)

19. I've heard Alain Caron do some pretty serious slapping on a 6. Bill Dickens isn't too bad at slapping on one of these babies either. Heard of these guys? ;)

20. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Whadda ya mean "useful"? It's a musical instrument man!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.