7 String?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nubassplayer, Apr 22, 2001.

1. nubassplayer

Mar 26, 2001
    I have a quick question. What note is the 7th string? Is it lower than B, or higher than C?
  2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Most all are strung up with a string higher than a C; a high F. Though some have a string below a B, an F#, but most don't.
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Although John Turner is more of an expert than myself, I'd hazard to guess that most players tune that high one F or a half-step down to E. When the top two are B and E, you've got guitar chord possibilities on the top 6 strings. I tune mine C and F, however, as I prefer the familiar patterns resulting from fourths all the way up.
  4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Turner tunes all of his 7's with high B and E, for guitar tuning (on the high 6, anyway).

When I got my 7's I thought about that, but decided to stay all in 4ths with high C and F. I am a reformed guitar player and all of those chord forms could have been useful, but so many of them have the 3rd way down on the D string and it comes out sounding like mud on the bass. So I'm developing some new fingerings for chords, mostly with all of the non-root notes on the G, C, and F strings where they sound much clearer.