7 string ?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by warwickben, May 25, 2005.

1. iam not sure if this is the right place to ask. i really want to make a 7 string fretted bass. my only problem is i dont trust my self making a 7 string neck. i have made a fretless 4 string befor.

wat i wanna know is if there any one willing to make a neck thru neck for me.
  2. ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    if you can make a four, you can make a five, six, seven...

a seven string is almost an eight. think about it as putting two standard four string necks side by side. just laminate a bunch wood (i say "just" loosely: do your research on the wood and multi-laminate necks) of peices together and construct it the way you would for your four string.

ecxept i'd reccoment two truss-rods and some graphite stock for stability. seven strings is alot.
  3. iam not able to do the fret work.
  4. It's really not as hard as you might think. You need a few simple tools and some patience. You could get a preslotted board in the necessary width from LMII or one of the other places most likely. Fretting this is pretty easy to get done. On a 7 string or larger I personally like a non-radiused fretboard, so that, in fact, makes things somewhat simpler. If the board is properly flat and dressed before the frets are installed, the frets should only require a minimal if any dressing.
  5. ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004

they'll supply you with extra wide pre slotted boards.

just specify what you want and they're really great about meeting your needs.

fret work is tedious, but it's expensive if you don't do it yourself. say in the range of 130 bucks for a standard guitar (not an extra wide bass), and that's low balling it.
  6. thanks for ur help. it works out i like flat finger boards.

i hope this isnt a dumb question, and iam not to sure how to ask.

when i make the neck should it have some what of a bow in it. or can i just make the neck flat and the finger board flat.
  7. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    The string tension will put a bow in that neck for you. The trussrod is used to act against that tension. So, in otherwords, just build it flat. :)