7 String...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LowF#, Apr 2, 2002.

1. LowF#

LowF# Guest

Apr 2, 2002
    Midwest USA
    What are everyones thoughts about starting out learning on a 7 string bass? They are becoming so commonplace today and many people say they're easier to play because of the ability to play vertically up the neck instead of horizontally. I was reading about a guy on the internet a couple days ago that said he started out playing a 6 string bass but now he says the 7 string he plays now is much easier to play than the 6 he started on. Than some people start on a 4 and are daunted by the task of getting used to playing 7 strings when they try to migrate towards one. So do you think it would be easier to just start out on the 7 in the first place?? If you had the option, would you of started on a 7?? Just wanna hear everyones thoughts on this, Thanks!!;)
  2. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    yeah given the chance again id start on 7's. but everyone admits youd look stoopid playing old greenday and nirvana lines on a 7. hehe :)
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - I think you have to know what you want to do - that is, what you are going to play - and then buy the most appropriate bass for that purpose.

If you see your ultimate direction and type of music, involving a 7-string then why not start on that? But they are still very much "non-standard" - so you will probably have to pay more for string sets, maintenance setup etc.

Also - if you pull out a 7-string, then people are going to have "expectations" - if you then proceed to play things which would be easy on a 2-string then don't be surprised if they laugh at you!! :D
  4. I see nothing at all wrong with learning to play bass on an extended-range instrument. In fact, I find studying scales and chords easier as the patterns are less broken up due to the greater range of notes within one position. If the music you'd like to play requires hitting notes above or below the range of a standard four-string bass, then you'll probably remain more inspired by having a bass that can accomodate that need, rather than "fitting" your note choices into the range of a four-string bass. Be aware of the effects of a heavy instrument weighing upon your shoulder. I've experienced some heavy instruments actually reducing circulation to my left arm and fretting fingers, causing early fatigue. I believe the Conklin Sidewinder is actually a reasonably light-weight instrument for a 7-string. The cost for strings is definitely higher for extended range basses (approximately $35-$60) compared to four string basses (approximately $15-$35). By using the notes in the extended range tastefully, I think one can make a lot of great music. Of course, one can make a lot of great music on a four-string too!

5. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I have no desire or need to have more than 5 strings personally. If someone really wanted/needed a 7 string for the type of music they wanted to play, why not start out with it? I personally find it ridiculous to buy a 6+ string bass for the sole purpose of playing across the neck instead of using position shifts. I can understand extending your range, but the argument that "it makes it easier to play because you don't have to change positions as often" is a bunch of garbage. In my opinion you are cheating yourself by not practicing position shifts and getting really good at it.
  6. I agree that one should be able to make position shifts on any bass. Even though the correct note may be available on an extended-range bass, that note may not sound right in some circumstances. For example, the sound of a "D" on the C-string 2nd fret may not sound as appropriate as, say, the "D" at the E-string 10th fret. Sometimes, though, the twangy notes on the C-string may be the sound you're looking for. Personally, I find the physical aspect of playing bass easier than figuring out WHAT to play based on scales, chords, rhythms, etc. And that sort of diminishes the importance of how many strings your bass has.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    start on whatever you want to start on, and don't worry about people laughing. here's a little secret - everybody laughs at everybody else. that's the way people are :D.
  8. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    tee-hee, tee-hee, look at the silly man with a double neck 7 string... :D
  9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    hee hee, look at the monkey drinking a beer! hee hee :D

damn, JT's right! :D
  10. I want you to try to slap and pop across two octaves on a conventionally tuned four-string.
  11. bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    I really wish I still had my seven string because when I did, it was sooo easy to play. Problem was that I never used the C and F strings
  12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I like how this thread was posted in a couple forums.