7 String...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by LowF#, Apr 2, 2002.

1. LowF#

LowF# Guest

Apr 2, 2002
    Midwest USA
    What are everyones thoughts about starting out learning on a 7 string bass? They are becoming so commonplace today and many people say they're easier to play because of the ability to play vertically up the neck instead of horizontally. I was reading about a guy on the internet a couple days ago that said he started out playing a 6 string bass but now he says the 7 string he plays now is much easier to play than the 6 he started on. Than some people start on a 4 and are daunted by the task of getting used to playing 7 strings when they try to migrate towards one. So do you think it would be easier to just start out on the 7 in the first place?? If you had the option, would you of started on a 7?? Just wanna hear everyones thoughts on this, Thanks!!
  2. xtian

Jul 13, 2000
    Budapest, Hungary
    Don't be afraid of 7 strings. I played 4's (fretted and fretless) for 20+ years now, and I got my first 7-string over a year ago now.

Since then I have filled the gap with a 6-string (Thompson custom-made beauty), and a G&L L2500 5-string.

I find all of them to be useful for different things. There are even some chord voicings which work on the 7 that don't work on the 6 or 5.

On the technique front, I found that I had to alter my hand position and technique for BOTH hands to play my Conklin 7! It was not difficult to adapt, but it did take some conscious thought to figure out the best way to control all those strings.

Just so you know, I play with absolutely perfect textbook left hand position on my 4's and the 5-string. When I move to the 6 or 7-strings, that hand position changes depending where I am on the neck, what I am playing, etc, etc, etc.

The extended range instruments require you to be more dynamic with your hands and to throw away a lot of the "rules".

But the possibilities are amazing, and it is wonderful to be able to play such a versatile instrument that still has that unique voice that says BASS.

- xtian
    Budapest, Hungary