Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

7 stringers, help!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Brendan, Nov 8, 2000.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    When asked, I can't come of up with an explanation of how to use the "extra" stings. Could you help me in an over veiw how these might be helpfull to my sound (in Rock band)? I find it hard to justify my future *drool* 7 string purchase if I can't give my bandmates a defite expalantation, or at least some reasons, why a 7 is a justifiable item in my arsenal.

This comes after the love-at-first-sight I have had with 7s, and the Conklin is the most comfotable neck I have played, 4 or otherwise. I really want the 7, but, if people keep throwing my dream down, I want to at least explain how it will help.

[Edited by Brendan on 11-08-2000 at 01:33 AM]

2. look at it this way, ask them if they always use all six of their strings. i dont play a seven, but often people call me "inferior" (sp?) because i only have 4 strings on my bass. this is in a punk band, infinus for power chords, and simple melodys. i know for a fact that the guitar player only uses 4 of his strings, cause he doesnt want to have to shift over his pinky for the power chords useing the d, g, and b strings. just point out to them (only if its true) that they dont ALWAYS use all their strings, and that just cause they dont always use them, doesnt mean its not helpful to have. if that doesnt work, then break two of their strings, and have them play a whole practice liek that. they'll probly say they feel restricted, and you can juse say "now you know how i feel"

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Brendan, why are you buying the 7 if you dont even know how youll ever use it? I mean, if you dont need it, why buy it? Other than the ball factor? You should at least have an idea of how youll use it before you buy it, at least a little bit, or youll be wasting time and money! I mean, if you cant use the high high strings, or your amp cant reproduce the low F# (if you decide to use one), and yours probably cant, then why not get a 5? Less string money, easier on the hands, etc. So whats the deal?

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If you're using conventional technique, I really can't see any justification for purchasing an instrument with more than 5 strings. Sure, you have more notes at your disposal at each LH position but first, why would you want to play in a single position?; and second, many of those notes aren't going to be *bass* notes. If you're going to do a lot of solo work, I guess those high notes are useful, but you may fall into the "Pattitucci trap" of neglecting the lower range. Soloists like Marcus Miller and Victor Wooten do fine with 4. Apart from soloing, there are plently of higher notes on 4 and 5 string basses to play guide tones and fill out chords; just listen to Will Lee and Roscoe Beck for examples of how this can be done. Lastly, searching for a bass amp that will do justice to the entire instrument will be a chore, to say the least. This is assuming the instrument itself is capable of bringing out the best of its entire range and the pickups and electronics have been voiced accordingly. I've seen a lot of complaints here by 5 and 6-stringers who complain that their $2000+ instruments sound weak up high and down low.

If you tap, go for it. Tapping would allow you to play the high range without neglecting your duties as a bassist. Also, as far as the ball factor goes, you can't beat someone hammering out bass, chords and melody simultaneously on a single monstrous instrument. Finally, a Conklin GT-7 is considerably cheaper than a Chapman Stick or its counterparts.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, Angus, I want a 7, due to the nature of my character. Somtimes, I can't gt enough high, just want to have that high C to let me continue up, and have more freedom, and others, I want deep, really deep, and others, a mid. After thinking, I figure I could own a 4, a 5, a 6, and a sixer with F#BEADG, or, own one seven, and save time, money, and a lot of space, and not have to change basses all the time to suit my mood at the moment. A 7 would just be a shorter way around my wants as a bassist. I know how to use one (musically) but the question was more of a question of having to rationalize the facts to my band mates who think 4 is too many. I tried to explain what I just did to them, but they still wouldn't get off my back about it...

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey brendan.

the only thing i knew before i bought my first 7 was that i wanted something different. you don't need to go from 5 to 6 to 7. and you don't have to prove either your reasons or your worthiness to anybody if you want to get a 7.

one of the great things of going from 4 to 7 for me, back in the day,was that i had to figure out what i was going to do with those extra strings. there aren't any rules - make it up as you go.

have a ball, go for it.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    How do you use the extra string?... you play it;). Now that I'm an expert (hey, I have 2 1/2 days under my belt) I've noticed that in addition to chording, it allows me simply to "keep playing" across the neck, I don't have to stop on the G string (mine's tuned high F). You also have more options as to "where" (on the neck) you can play to.

Try it...if you like it, cool...if you don't, cool.

Cool
    :cool:

BTW I played that fanned fret fretless 8 Conklin of Bass Palace's today. To say it was different would be an understatement. I liked it. I'm not buying it.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thanks John, and that sums up what I want: Something different. Something new, something that so few are willing to do. Just like you said, I don't have to justify it to anyone, it's just my choice, and boy... is it going to be an adventure or what?!

Oh, Check this: MF online, is offering less than perfect models (dings, dents, small cosmetic flaws or, "blems") for only 740! and with 20 shipping, thats still only 760, instead of 1000 or more. I can live with cosmetic flaws, and for that price, I'm thinking that's the way I'm going to go!

Nothing helps me realize that I want one more than a little encouragement!

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    then do it! get a purple one :D

10. darn it i wanted the chiped purple one, i hope they have more than one.

hey JT your only 83 posts away from 2112

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    The idea was that if he wont really use it, he should save his money and get maybe a better 5 or 6.