1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

70’s Ampeg V4-B vs Sunn 300T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ktdal, Sep 12, 2018.

1. ktdal

ktdal

Mar 20, 2018
    California
    Hey there! I just sold my old head and I’m looking to finally dive into a full tube bass amp. I know both of these amps are plenty loud for a metal band situation, but my question is about playing them in my house. I’m wondering if these amps are even capable playing at a low bedroom volume? Haha. My cabinet is a Ampeg 4x10HE. Thanks for your input!

2. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    This is the DB side of TB. Is this where you intended to ask your question?

That said, I don’t know why you wouldn’t be able to play quietly. Just keep the volume knob on the opposite side of 11.

alanolynn, The_Lucek and Aqualung60 like this.
  3. ktdal

ktdal

Mar 20, 2018
    California
    Right on. This is my first forum post so please bear with me! Haha.

4. ktdal

ktdal

Mar 20, 2018
    California
    I’m also debating on which of these amps to get. I play mostly Sabbath style metal. Doom/ Stoner metal stuff. Do you have any experience with either of these amps?

5. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    As Michael said above, this is the Double Bass side of the forums. (Those giant wooden basses that guys like Charles Mingus used to play).

I'll ask one of the moderators to move this question over to the electric bass side of the forum.

That said, both amps can play quietly, but the lowest volume on either amp might still be too loud for an apartment situation depending upon your neighbors.

Personally? I don't think a V4-B is loud enough for metal/doom/stoner... I'd go with an SVT (300 watts) or the Sunn 300T. (Or three V4-Bs).

spaz21387 and ktdal like this.
  6. ktdal

ktdal

Mar 20, 2018
    California
    Thank you for you insightful reply! I must’ve hit double bass on accident haha. I live in a house, but I just want to be able to keep it at a reasonable volume and still hear my tone, ya know? I used to have a Terror Bass head a while back and it handled low volume nicely. Who would I contact to have the thread moved to the appropriate place?

7. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I already flagged the thread. Admins should move it automagically sometime in the next 24 hours.

V4B would be better in the bedroom, 300T and SVT don't really "sound good" until they're loud enough to be heard through the walls.

I'd get the louder amp for band practice, and just find some headphone amp thingie with an aux-in for bedroom practice.

You won't enjoy moving the 300T or SVT around and will likely leave it at your rehearsal space anyway.

8. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

SVTs sound fine a low volume...the only problem is they tend to have noisy fans.

The 300T will also sound good a low volume. The output section is basically an updated SVT output section. The 300T obvious has a very different preamp than the SVT. Lot's of bells, whistles and doo dads if you like to tinker with your sound. Some complain because this amp is very clean sounding.

FYI, The Fender Bassman 300 Pro is basically the Sunn 300T rebadged with a few reliability updates.

ktdal likes this.
  9. ktdal

ktdal

Mar 20, 2018
    California

I’ve actually been looking for a Fender Bassman 300, but I haven’t been able to find one locally.

I’m actually more into simplicity. I had a Terror Bass and a Sunn Concert Bass. I really liked the basic controls of those amps. I hear the Sunn has amazing tone capabilities, so I guess I want to try and challenge myself, if that makes sense.

I found a guy on Craig’s who’s willing to part with the Sunn for $800 with a custom made road case. I feel like that’s a pretty killer deal?

10. cornfarmer

cornfarmer jam econo Supporting Member

May 14, 2002
    Sounds like an alright deal if it doesn't need work. Usually I see those go for > $1000. That would be the better amp for loud timez, otherwise just get a cheap/decent sounding combo for home.

come by and say hi to the gang here: Stoner/Doom Bassists Thread, Part 90: Maxed Out

ktdal likes this.
  11. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    That's a great price if the amp is in good working order. People who like basic controls tend to get frustrated with this type of amp, because there are so many different options. I personally enjoy the flexibility and find it fun to experiment and get different sounds.

Wisebass and ktdal like this.
  12. ktdal

ktdal

Mar 20, 2018
    California
    That’s why I want to try one. I really want to challenge my tone instead of just playing a P bass and going to my “comfort zone” on an amp. The possibility of putting some serious fuzz into that thing and shaping it, is a challenge I’m really looking forward to.

13. ptensioned

ptensioned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    I have the Fender Bassman Pro 300, and like almost any amp, it'll work fine at low volume if you're not fussed about killer power tube distortion tone. The same applies to the V4B, though. To get the tube richness, both need to be pushed way beyond quiet. Both will sound warm and clean, but you're essentially idling the tubes. You can always crank the gain and turn down the master, but you won't be getting Cisneros tones that way.

A V4B is on my GAS list, but it's a totally different amp. 100W vs 300W does make a difference if you're up against loud guitars, drums and PA. The V4 will keep up with most, especially if you have a decent 810 or equivalent speaker area, but you'll probably lose some lows and definitely won't be able to play clean. On the other hand, they do sound amazing (I like them better than SVTs), and you get the Ampeg vibe that so many love. It's also more of a pure tube amp design, where the Sunn sends it's signal through more circuits. That matters to some more than others.

The Sunn does have lots of bells and whistles, but keep in mind that most can be turned off with the push of a button if you don't need the GEQ or onboard compressor.

If it were my money, both amps cost the same, and it were my only amp, I'd get the Sunn. It's more flexible and can be used in almost any live scenario. That said, if the band isn't mega loud, and you really dig the V4B tone, you can't go wrong.

dBChad, basscapes, Wisebass and 2 others like this.
  14. ktdal

ktdal

Mar 20, 2018
    California
    I think I am leaning towards the Sunn due to its clean tone. I don’t really have a ton of money or space to buy a gig amp and a separate practice amp. I’m really looking for an all-in-one amp. I am also more of a guy who doesn’t crank the gain too much. I like a semi-dirty clean tone. I like to use my pedals to push the tubes.

dBChad and mellowgerman like this.
  15. Second the invite to our doom hidey-hole. We are your experts on loud heavy amps. And fuzz pedals.

I want a v4b badly. At lowish volumes, it will be fine for what you describe.

ktdal likes this.
  16. ktdal

ktdal

Mar 20, 2018
    California
    A vintage V4B is sexy as hell. Now that Ampeg has a 2x12 cab new as an option, it really has me GASing hard. I just wish it was a 4x12:bassist:

17. I play thru this guy, who's a 4x12. Not quite the same aesthetics tho. Haha

601072000000000-00-500x500.

ktdal likes this.
  18. ktdal

ktdal

Mar 20, 2018
    California
    That’s sick man! I know this is a separate topic, but do any of you have experience with the Aguilar DB12’s?

19. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    I owned a Sunn 300T briefly. It was WAY too much amp for my needs, but the two channels can blend varying amounts of OD in with the clean, and even at low-moderate volumes. I liked the eq options, but not so much the compression function. Through a Marshall DBS 4x12, it sounded like God.
    The Sunn weighed 75 lbs, the Marshall, 165 lbs.

20. I would say sunn, based off of what I’ve heatd from both but I got a Fender 400 ps and acoustic 371and with an overdrive pedal, mannnnnn you would be hard pressed to beat those to for that.