1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

$70 Acoustic Bass on Amazon, anyone ever try it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gorn, May 31, 2012.

1. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
  2. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    $70! Let us know how it plays.

3. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    Give you a chance to practice some Luthier skills without worrying about messing up a nice bass. Probably would need strings, a decent bone nut and saddle adjustment. I had the same thing done to my fender kingman and the difference was quite noticeable. The saddle was shaped to the contour of the neck and then the truss rod adjusted. Then he put on a new bone nut and we heard the difference right away. Keep us posted if you get it.

4. The reviews I read about it aren't great but, some people seemed to like it. If you have 70 bucks to throw away go for it. My first thought is it will not have a feedback eliminator so, if I am correct in assuming this, you will not be able to play at anything but low volume. The other thing I read is it is short scale so you are limited in what brand of strings you can use. But again as a beater to just bang on while watching some Tv to keep your chops up it my be ok. Let us know how it works out for you if you get it.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    F*ck it. Might as well. Anyone have suggestions on the best short-scale acoustic bass strings

6. WOW! They're down to $70? It's almost worth that for the reasons stated in the previous posts. Furthermore, if the one you get is like the one I had, the shart protruding fret ends you can use the neck as a saw in emergancies. To be fair, I did learn that I'm a short scale guy from playing mine. However, I found the high action difficult to deal with when I tried to play it out, so I got an Ibanez AEB5. It costs $200 and is worlds better.

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I mainly want it to satisfy my curiosity, and futz around with for kicks. Maybe take the frets out, who knows. Was it really that bad? I know there's much better basses for not much more money, but I figure it'll be good enouch for couch playing. I prefer short scales myself actually. I have an Allen Woody bass (30") and a U-Bass (20"), so this should be an interesting addition.

8. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    I think there is a review on the Sky bass here. It wasn't exactly glowing. They've been on ebay at that price for a while. Once in awhile one shows up on my local CL at an inflated price.
    You don't have to buy acoustic bass strings. Any short scale strings will do.

9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I have no doubt it's gonna be crappy, but I don't have an acoustic, nor do I particularly want one, but it's 70 bucks so why not? I can't seem to find this review you speak of though. Any suggestions for shortscale flatwounds that would work well on a shortscale acoustic bass (shyte though it may be)

10. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Search "sky acoustic" you'll get several hits, not all are relevant. I think the most scathing review I read was posted elsewhere, but there are comments here about rough fret edges, etc. I've also heard of intonation issues, which would require removing and resetting the bridge and body parts coming unglued. Like Gintaras said, could be an opportunity to practice your luthier skills.
    I use D'Addario Chrome Flats on my Breedlove fretless, they sound great. I can do a pretty good faux upright sound with it.

11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Yah I hear the frets are really sharp. I wonder if it could survive a de-fretting. It's totally gonna be my amateur luthier project. Hopefully it won't arrive shattered to bits. I'd hate to go through the hassle of returning it.

12. MODELL

MODELL

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I bought a similar looking 5 string model from Copley for $129.00 with gig bag about two years ago off of Ebay. I put DR Rare PB strings on it and have played it at gigs regularly for the past year or so. Mine's not very loud acousticly, but plugged into my Markbass combo, (with a soundhole cover) it sounds good to me. I could think of worse things to spend $70.00 on.....

13. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It's on the way. Now the waiting game begins. Better go check the tracking number again to see if anything has changed in the last 20 minutes. Patience may be a virtue but I want it now!

14. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    I think I would personally be happier with $70 bucks worth of beer and tequila, but I hope it pans out for you! :)

15. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I do enjoy beer and tequila, though not in that order of course.