Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

70`s jazz basses and wood....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dadodetres, Feb 27, 2006.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Hi!

Im looking for a 70`s jazz bass and came a cross a 75 one...
    Since i live in Uruguay it may be one of the only chances i have.... they seller ask about 1200 american dollaras....

He sent me some pics, and the wood looks different from the one i played. Iuse to own a 77 which was heavy and sounded great!

What woods were these basses made of?
    what is the wood of the bass of the following pic?

thanks a lot!

here is a link to the pic, if you cant open it go to

www.fotolog.com/dadode3 and it in 2/27/06

pic:
    http://sp8.fotologs.net/photo/24/26/127/dadode3/1141080554_f.jpg

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Better question is who are the chicks on the right side of the photo page in their bikini's?

Rob

3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    so Hulk Hoogan played bass????
    [​IMG]

4. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Yes, Hulk plays bass.

It's hard to see what is going on with the finish in that picture. But, I can't see any grain (which could just be because it's painted, but it _looks_ like a stain), which suggests that the body is alder. The neck appears to be rosewood.

Those two factors suggest a '60s vintage, although that color doesn't look like anything I've seen on a '60s bass before.

On the surface, I can't say I'd be confident that is authentic, but there are hundreds of people on this board who know better than I.

5. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

so maybe its a 60`s jazz?
    the serial will say if it is, right?

also, what else can i identufy with the serial numer? wood maybe

6. WillCO

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Yes, essentially. Here is the Fender site for dating, if you can get the serial number.

7. +1

8. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    ok, the friend of the seller told me that the paint was taken away by a professional, and he thinks the serial number could have been removed also.... but he will check again today....

My english is not perfect, so if someone can explain me what does "grain" "stain" mean?

so haw can i be sure the body is alder?

thanks for any input!

9. :eek: BEWARE! :eek:

a professional would NOT have removed the serial number!
    i wouldn't buy anything of the sort without all the pieces of info being there to be able to accurately authenticate this bass!

10. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
  11. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    [spanish]Grain significa la veta de la madera y Stain se refiere a la pintura aunke no estoy seguro de si se refiere a un color solido o translucido.[/spanish]

12. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Fender says that between 500,00 and 700,000 is 1976, but doesnt says nothing about 781001, i have to asume it is a 76`or 77`?

I talked to seller`s friend today and he told me the bass was black and they took the pain away hmm.

Everything is 100% original exept hardshell.

One of the Block inlays (the last one) seems to be ereased, ....... IS THIS POSSIBLE??? maybe the pic is cheating, can the bass be fake?

Ill check it out in about 2 days, because its about 60 miles from were i am.

How much do you think this bass is worth? he is asking 1200 dollars..... the NOLY other seventys jazz bass in Uruguay (a 77`) costs 2000 dollars.

Thanks for any input!

13. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    well if its the real thing that price might be like 200 USD overpriced, get us some high quality pics so we can help you better and play it too, check the D an G strings on 5th and 7th fret just to hear how bad the deadspots are, also look for flattered surfaces on the frets it might need a fret job or be refretted and that can cost you some money, neck wrapage is common on fenders specially if they are old and have been exposed to abrupt climate changes, if it has a bullet truss rod ajustment (youll notice something like a bullet comming of the headstock where you put the allen wrench to tighten or loosen the truss rod) look for cracks on the fretboard for some reason that thing breaks fretboards easily with just a little bit more pressure than needed.
    Also check the serial number of the body just to see if it matches the year of the neck (be aware of ripoffs).

Alex.

14. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    hey Alex! thanks!

i have the photos i posted in exelent quality, but dont know how to upload them to any site, if i manage to do it can you help me out ?

15. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Register at http://photobucket.com/ load the pics there and post them here.

16. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

Here they are:
    in the back photo you can zoom and notice the serial number on the plate, its 781001

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    So when did they mark the serial on the headstock and not on the plate? I got a 4 bolt 71 and the number is on the plate, and a friend has a 76-77 and the number is on the headstock. I think.

18. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Well there are some screws missing but the only important ones are the bridge screws, if you get to check the bass check if there is actually a drilled hole for those screws.
    The inlay thing is weird, TBH i've seen some smashed 70's fenders and all of them had their inlays in the f-board but hell knows.
    Theres one more thing i just thought about, i dont know how to identify a real 70's fender pickup the ppl of the pickups forum must have some clues.
    Ask for the ashtrays (those metal covers 70's used to come with).
    I still think that that bass is worth 900-1000 USD just because something tells me that its going to need a fret job.
    One last thing, if you dont like how it sounds dont buy it i dont think it is going to report you some extra cash in the future on its actual shape.

BTW it might be a tricky angle but the neck doesnt look straight enough.

19. WillCO

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    The wood looks more like ash in those newer pictures, but I still don't understand the rosewood fretboard. I think a late 70's would have a maple board. I wonder if it's an older neck on a 70s body.

20. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Actually, since it will be very difficult to find a 70`s jazz around here for less than 1700 dollars, im looking foward for this one, but ONLY if it sounds exelent. I used ti have a 77`jazz which sounded great, and i got robbed..... so im trying to replace it....

My 77`jazz used to be rosewood, so i asume late 70`s came in both options..... So you say its ash? what were wood options in the 70s???