1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

70`s jazz neck questions....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dadodetres, Apr 17, 2006.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Hello everybody!

In the search of the perfect setup to my bass, i came across the fact that i never touched the micro tilt hole in the back of the bass. It is a 78 Jazz.

How does it work? what does it do?

Is it like there is a subjetive way of doing it? or is it objetive?

Also i have the problem that the truss rod doesnt move. Relif is lower than it should, not HORRIBLE, but i wish it was a little higher. But the bullet at the end of the neck (in the head) is completely loosen. Maybe there is something im doing wrong. Or maybe it has to do with the micro tilt.

Any advice on either matter is wecoled,
    thanks!

2. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    microtilt is for setting the neck angle.
    Unless you have a problem with your bridge saddles being too low or too high at you desired string height then just leave it alone.
    Microtilt will not effect your neck relief.
    With the nut loose, the only thing that will get you more relief (other than a luthier with a heating Jig) is to use slightly heavier strings.

3. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

I used to use 0.40. Now i turned to 0.45, and relif still low. Im still getting use to the tension, but surely CANT use heavyer than that.

What is a Heating Jig ? is it 100% safe to use it on a bass? is it recomendabla and worth it ?

Thanks