Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

700/1001RB-II 210's vs. SWR Super Redhead

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ralphdaddy, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    In the interests of moving into an apartment and trying to decrease my load of junk to move up and down stairs for gigs I'm thinking of selling off my 700RB-II head and maybe one or both of my cabs to get a 210 combo and then use it with a 410 extension cab. With the GK's I'd have to sell everything and get the 210 then a GK or some other 8 ohm 410, but if I get the Super Redhead I can keep and use my 4 ohm 410. What do these combos really sound like? I had a 400RB-IV-210 for about a month before returning it and it couldn't handle the B at any volume let alone high volume so that's a requirement here. The combo MUST be able to handle the B at any volume with or without the extension cab. I'm looking for opinions on both. I've seen a guy a few times who used a S.R. with a Goliath II and it sounded great and I love the sound of my GK so I'm looking to those with more experience to let me know their opinions. Thanks!

2. I've got a redhead, it sounds great on it's own or with an extension cab (I've used 1x15 and 410). I've never had a problem getting good tone with a 5-string. I almost bought a gk 210 combo (not sure about which RB it was), but it was noisy and had muddy low end. If you like the SWR sound then you'll love the redhead.

3. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    That's half the thing, I've never played anything made by SWR before except a Goliath II with a Peavey head and a Goliath III with a M/B Mpulse 600. Sounded good but I've heard SWR scoops mids and I'm a BIG midrange guy, not big into massive low end, but I need strong lows, strong mids and present highs. I like to slice through the mix of a keys, drums, and soon a guitarist.

4. If you set the eq flat then the redhead definitely has a mid scoop happening. But the mid controls are sweepable from 200 Hz to 800 Hz, so you can boost them at whatever frequency you want. I've never had a problem cutting through 2 guitars in a loud rock band, although I usually use an extension cab for those gigs.

5. You have a weight problem.

You should consider a lighweight head and small cabs with napolean complexes. The SWR is a fine combo but that thing is still 90 lbs. I also like the Eden metro, more so than the SWR, but you have the same problem with weight. I wouldn't want to carry that upstairs.

I would consider a nice head and a couple cabs, one for small gigs and a big cab.

My needs are modest right now. So I use a small eden which eats the low B for lunch and asks "Is that all you got?" It is tuned to 37hz. And that is just a CXC110. I just stack that with the 10" ext. cab and would put that against the redhead any day. You could stack it with any cab. Not sure if I would put it against the metro. But I would much rather carry it up stairs.
    http://www.talkbass.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1153&password=0&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

What's your budget?

If I were to upgrade and I had an SWR redhead budget, I would get an Eden WT 550 and a Shroeder 1210.

I agree you should get rid of the GK stuff.

6. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I actually love my GK equipment, for me it has outstanding tone and growl so I don't really want to ditch it. Weight isn't my problem, portability is. I'd rather make one 80 pound trip than a 80 pound trip, a 40 pound trip and another 15 pound trip before I even carry my basses to the truck. Also, I don't really have the room for multiple cabs sitting around, my flooded basement brought that to light for me. A single 410 and a 210 combo are exactly what I need at this point. Admittedly I hadn't thought of an Eden Metro but I played through one a few years ago and it was incapable of handling the low B. That said I believe that particular unit was defective. Also, my budget is not unlimited, this is a birthday/christmas gift from my folks with me throwing in money and selling gear to help pay for it. The weight of the combo means nothing to me, I'm a fairly big guy and I'm young and healthy enough to not have to worry about that kind of thing. Most important to me are tone, portability and low B. I'm willing to look into something other than the GK's or the SWR but it must fit that bill.

I forgot to mention, I simply like large cabs like 410 so it would be more like WT550 and Schroeder 410, but that's out of my price range to say the least.

7. Hey, who am I to say what you want to carry up the stairs? If you like the GK sound you should also take a look at the Peavey Bam 210 combo.

8. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Keep the GK head, sell the cabs and get a single Schroeder 410 or 21012... You won't be sorry.

- Frank.

9. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I thought about doing getting a single Scroeder cabinet but having a 210 combo for small gigs and practices would be very nice was my other thought. I'm assuming at this point my budget is in the 7-800 range, so a used GK or SWR would be pretty nice here. I like tubes so the SWR's tube pre is a nice feature but I certainly don't have to have a tube pre. It just sounded like a nice idea to save trips even if I'm not really saving weight. I've never seen a BAM 210 but have heard good things about them, I'll look into them too. Do you know the going rate on those boss? Sorry if it seemed like I jumped on you, I was tired and crabby last night.

10. I do not know the street price of the Bam 210. There are some other guys raving about the Yorkville XS400t. These have a street price of around $600 new They have a tube front end and people on TB are always talking about them. So you should try the Redhead, Metro, Bam 210 and XS400t.

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=32&cat=15&id=262

11. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    The BAM is an impressive amp, but it's damned heavy at over 96 lbs, plus it's a fairly bulky package. IMO, that's a heavy load for a single person to be carrying up & down a flight of stairs. The nice thing about though is it does have a built in luggage handle and wheels so once it's on solid ground it's a lot easier to transport. If you're interested in finding out more about it you may want to PM Embellisher, he has one.

- Frank.

12. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Hmmm, 96 is outside the realm I'm willing to carry, thanks though guys! I went to GC yesterday and I'm not going to lie, I liked the SWR 2x10C, the Workingman's combo, but I HATE graphic EQ's. I don't know if I'm spoiled by the 4 knob style on my GK, but I just love that feature, the Super Redhead does the same thing correct? Also, what's the going rate on these used? Not sure about the yorkie, I already own a Traynor YBA and I'd like to try something from a different company even though I love that amp... how does the XS400T sound though? Is it mid-heavy or bottom-heavy at all? Also, another reason I like a used Super Redhead is that it runs at 2 ohms so I wouldn't have to buy any new cabs as an extension so that's a big thing with me.

13. there isn't any graphic eq on a redhead, just 4 eq knobs and the aural enhancer, gain, volume, effects blend, and xlr pad level. I'd agree that you should also check out the eden metro, it's a very cool amp. I live in canada so I'm not sure what either amp typically goes for used in the US but bass nw has a used metro for $999, someone else must know if that's a good deal.

14. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I'd consider a Metro but it'd have to be in the 7-800 range honestly. The Bam's too heavy, and the SWR looks perfect but I can only find one on eBay and it's looking like it will sell higher than I'm willing to go. Who knows, maybe something will pop up before Christmas.

15. Just so you know, the Redhead has Bass, Mid LEVEL, Mid FREQUENCY, Treble and Aural Enhancer. I believe it's a different EQ set up than your GK head, but both work great.

Yorkville XS400t has a minimum impedance of 4 ohms with 8ohms internal speakers so you 4ohm cabs won't work. Rev Groove would be able to tell you more, specially if it could handle the low B which I believe it can very well.

16. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Thanks Benner, I figured the Redhead's EQ section would be excellent since it has such a great reputation as a good studio amp. I really just need something stable to 2 ohms and the Super Redhead is the only thing which fits that bill to my knowledge... nevermind, the Metro puts over 600 watts into 2 ohms so it'd work too. How much are these new/used? Also discovered that what I played a couple years ago was a CXC210 or it's predecessor, it didn't like the B on a Warwick I played. what id the general sound of the Metro? Basically I stick to rock, slap a bit, some pick, mostly fingerstyle.... That's about it I think.

17. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    WOW... I just read some reviews for the Metro on Harmony Central and they all described major issues with reliability and customer service. For a combo that costs 1600 bucks that's unbelievable... how can it be such a coveted item with such crappy reliability? Or is this another instance of only people with issues have posted? It's damn hard to find a used high powered bass combo for a reasonable price, what's with that? It's frustrating as all get out and makes no sense. What about all of the guys on here who say their backs can't handle the big cabs and huge heads, don't they buy these things? It seems like no one has any interest in them almost. Who knows, maybe I'm in an incredibly small minority.

18. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Sooo... I've been doing more research and it seems like the Peavey BAM 210 is an excellent stand alone combo, I'm still not sold on a 100 pound combo, but it looks interesting. The thought also occurred to me to see if I could get the cab and speakers of 700RB-II/210 combo minus the actual amp and just slide my 700RB-II into the slot thereby saving some serious cash. Wonder if GK would go for it... paging Dan Elliott haha. The Eden is out, too expensive, the BAM is almost too expensive, prolly as high as I'll go and some people have said the Super Redhead can't handle a B on its own so I'm not sure about that. Any other ideas? Does anyone even own one of the GK combos and can attest to the B string skills of them?

19. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Don't know if GK will go for it, but both Dr. Bass and Low Down Sound have very good, affordable cabinets that contain rack space to accomodate a head.

- Frank.

20. Flanders

Flanders

Oct 30, 2002
    Reno, NV
    I have a GK 1001RB-II running through SWR 4x10T Workingman. Sounds good to me. I also have a GK 1001RB (older model) 2x10 combo. I've never really played it a volume to hear the B, but I'm gonna when I get home tonight. Who knows, maybe I'll get to meet my new neighbors!

GK=OK