Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

$700 best high wattage amp?????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nico3535, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Nico3535

Nico3535

Mar 8, 2006
    Florida
    In the next two months i plan on upgrading my rig. I have a swr sm-400 (love the tone) but i t lacks the headroom i desire. I don't mind buying used, my best friend is a tech so he services all my stuff free. I just want the best tone i can get at a higher wattage than my swr. I play mostly funk and jazz rnb with a dab of hip hop. I'd love to hear what everyone recomends. I also want some recomendations on a cab to go with. I want to spend $1300 on a cab and head.

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    The three that have started to come up a lot are the Kustom GrooveBass 1200, the new Genz-Benz (I forget the model number), and the Carvin B1500. (Not saying these are the only choices--you could also check out, for example, G-K or Ampeg.) All three have been owned and greatly liked by various members of this forum. If you search for those amp names, you'll find a lot of stuff already posted.

3. Nico3535

Nico3535

Mar 8, 2006
    Florida
    yeah the carvin is up there in my list. I always figured i could pre amp it with my swr to get mre of that tone i'm use to. Thanks for the reply.

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I havent been impressed by Carvin. I played through an all Carvin full stack one show and was glad when it was over. Some people think it's decent gear. I'd go with the Kustom.

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I paid $700 for my SWR WorkingPro 700. This thing has plenty of headroom with 710watts into 4ohms. Pm me if you have any questions about it. It has that great classic swr tone with some extra goodness.

6. bassplayer347

bassplayer347 Guest

Dec 24, 2003
    Kansas
    must have been the redline gear

7. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    what about the GK 1001RB-II? It's jsut a little over $700 new... I'm not sure of their availability used... 700 watts though.

8. e.maynard

e.maynard

Nov 11, 2004
    Afton, Virginia
    This could be a great opprotunity for your best friend to get tired of seeing you.

My experience with Carvin (Amplifiers especially) has been very very poor. Bass head dying after 2 weeks, replacement unit dying a month later. Then, like an idiot, I bought one of their Headphone amplifiers for my studio......Poof. Died. Wrong fuse value (higher) installed from factory.......sent it back, returned to me with an even higher value fuse this time. Poof. That was it.

Never again. 3 new amps......3 dead amps. Final score 0.

Try a GK 700RBII.

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Only if you don't shop around. $600 brand new shipped from RMS Audio.

10. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    GK 1001RB-II is $600 new from RMCaudio.com.

11. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    See, even more reason to check out the 1001RB-II...

12. Nico3535

Nico3535

Mar 8, 2006
    Florida
    I use to own a 1001rb. Had plenty of power, but the tone just didn't do it for me. My SWR is a 80's model from the eden days so it sounds really warm full exactly the tone i look for. The 1001 seemd thin to me, or to bassy and muddy at times. I think i'm just going to take it to a guitar center and run it into some pwer amps, cause i seem to be really stuck on the tone this baby gives me. If i can find a power amp that will leave my sound uncolored i will sacrifice the extra rack space and keep the swr, and just get a cab that can handle the power.

13. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I'd say look for a cabinet first. Bass cabinets are widely colored and come in many different efficiencies. A cabinet that is 3db more efficient will need half the power of another cabinet to achieve the same sound pressure level (SPL).

Once you get a cabinet, it can help you decide how much power you need in the amp, and how much tone variation you'll need in the preamp section to get the different tones you want.

14. Helstar

Helstar

Nov 26, 2005
    Peavey max 700 ...7oo watts @2ohms and if you need more juice it has a crossover just add power amps either that or the groovebass both of them are less then 600 actual propbally less the 550,and the peavey 5 year warranty booyah...I use the Peavey Max 700 by the way

15. This is probably your best option. This will provide the tone you love but with more power. Plus, if the power amp dies, you'll still have the SWR power section.

16. I have a firebass, nice amp, ive seen them on the US ebay for $300 nearly new !

What not looking into the peavey 1U power amplifiers you can get? and then use your current head as a preamp?

17. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    +1 Epifani

18. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    On the whole Carvin thing, the Redline and "B" series heads are totally different animals.

I have heard of many having trouble with the Redlines as far as finding a useable tone and reliablility issues. On the flip side, I haven't heard of any reliabilty issues with the "B" series and it supposedly has great tone straight out of the box. Smash just did a huge review on it with clips and IMO, is a must read.

One brand I would not overlook is older Trace Elliot heads. They are packed with features, extremely loud given their wattage, and built like tanks.

Good luck!

19. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Carvin B1500 w/BRX12 cab is going to be your best bet.

20. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I read the rules and I think this is legal; I have one of these in MINT (and I mean MINT) condition that I bought used about 3 weeks ago. Even comes in the original box. I paid $550.00 - I'm not sure if I need to post it in the "for sale" section, but it's available. It's just not my cup of tea.

Skel