Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

700 rb plus 4 ohm 4x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spector_guy2004, May 10, 2004.

1. spector_guy2004

spector_guy2004 Guest

Apr 11, 2002
    Hollister, Ca, USA
    hey guys,
    i have a GK 700rb and i want to get a GK cab so i can use the bi amp mode. do you think that it would be a good idea to just get a 4 ohm 4x10 or should i get an 8 ohm and throw on a 15? i like the idea of just carrying around one cab, but is it a good idea as far as sound and power goes? any information will be greatly appreciated

2. That's my rig! Except that the 4*10 is a Marshall.

the 700rb ran @ 4ohms with a 4*10 load should give you all the power you need
    My rig is really reactive at 4Ohms, I prefer to run my head at 4 rather than 8ohms.
    I already tried a 4*10 8ohms ,something was missing compared to a 4. Maybe with a
    15" under it, it could have been better but I think the 700rb doesn't give you enough power to run two big cabs like these(notice that I never tried with two cabs).
    If you can get the chance to try both config, your choice will be easier but once you'll try your rig with two 8ohms cabs it's gonna be hard to go back to only one 8ohms cab.
    Hope it helps...

3. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    >>>i have a GK 700rb and i want to get a GK cab so i can use the bi amp mode

I don't have a 700RB but looking at the GK product book it says lows get 320 watts @ 8 ohms and highs get 50 watts @ 8 ohms when using bi-amp mode on 700RB. So if you wanted to run two big cabs such as a 4-10" and 1-15" together you wouldn't be in bi-amp mode because one cab would only be getting 50watts. What you would want to be doing is just running two cabs from your normal speaker outs. two 8 ohm cabs parallel to get 480 watts @ 4 ohms. If I'm wrong about how the bi-amp mode works I'd like to know but from how I'm reading this that's how it looks to me.

4. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    If you have the original series 700RB, you don't gain enough from biamping to be worth the hassle/expense. Unlike the 800RB amp that's designed to biamp with 2 cabs, the 700RB has a little amp just for a cab's horn...that amp is fairly hissy. You'll get less hiss and the same frequency response from running the amp full range...which you can do with either a GK cab or any other cab. Definitely look for a 4 ohm cab if you're going to use just one...the amp isn't quite enough power to run an 8 ohm 410 cab very loud.

5. spector_guy2004

spector_guy2004 Guest

Apr 11, 2002
    Hollister, Ca, USA
    Well, the question i was asking was if i should run 4 ohms with the one cab, or run 4 ohms with the 4x10 and the 15. you only get 225 watts with 8 ohms, i wouldnt even consider that.

6. The 700RB-II horn amp is not hissy at all.