1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

700 watts or 1000 watts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by insomniac2295, Apr 28, 2009.

1. So, I'm wondering if there is going to be much audible difference between 700 watts and 1000 watts. Anyone care to share their $0.02?

I'm using an Avatar 4x10 cab right now.

2. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    do a search.... Lots of opinions on this.

I don't think there would be a difference.... at least with the gigs I'm playing lately. Either would constitute way more than I need.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah, the audible difference is your cab may have a shred of hope of lasting with a 700w head and not a chance in hell with the 1000w head ;)

No way a 410 can take that kind of wattage. The specs may say 1000w but I don't believe it. The cab greatly reduces the real world wattage those speakers will take. It'll take quite a bit, but I think 700w is looking to be about top end for it if you want to talk real-world usage, maybe even less. And the difference between 700 and 1000 is sort of noticeable, but doesn't really add up to much in the long run. Certainly not enough for a 410.

4. Power to volume is an exponential relationship, doubling the power gives a 3dB increase in volume.

So between 700 and 1000, while there would be a difference, I doubt it would be noticable. What is more likely to make a difference is the manufacturer you get it from.

I agree with JimmyM, 1000 watts is a heck of a lot to be pumping into a 410 (even then, so is 700!).

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    No.
    A 4x10 won't take more than 600 watts at best without farting out anyway.

6. Sandu

Sandu

Oct 23, 2007
    Bucharest, Romania
    Not even cabs with higher rated speakers, say BP102's (200W)?

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I chose the LH1000 over the Eden Nemesis 7000 because of tone. They just so happen to have that ostensible wattage difference.

Right now the Hartke LH1000 is on about 3.5 volume wise at rehearsals. I am babying both the amp & cabinet.

Still getting plenty of growl & tone & minding my cab until I get another to spread it around a bit.

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Power ratings mean nothing, displacement (Vd) means everything. The BP102 has the highest displacement of commonly available drivers at 207cc, and it's limited to 150 watts usable power. Drivers with less Vd than the BP102, which is nearly all tens, won't even take that much power without farting out.

9. heinpete

heinpete

Apr 9, 2008
    Hesse, Germany
    :rollno:Me thinks that more watts are usefull for faster preparation of meals:spit:. However with bass amps having a certain power (200-300W) the main deal is the sensitivity (dB) of the speakers!!!:oops: To raise the SPL of 3dB it needs the doubling of the power of the amp. So if you use speakers with98dB or 101dB (at 1W/1m) gives you the actual difference.
    Anything above 120 dB listening will just spoil your ears!:spit::bag:

10. There is more to it than sensitivity, unless tone isn't of an interest to you. You also have the problem that some cab producers will give you the sensitivity of the cab at a frequency which isnt really useful in regards to bass.