1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

700RB II or MB2-500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matt_oc6, May 11, 2010.

1. matt_oc6

matt_oc6

Feb 28, 2010
    What are the main advantages/disadvantages of these amps? they're similar price and i'm stuck. I'll be playing through a GK 410-RBX cab

2. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    700RB-II has:

-Presence knob
    -4/5 string button
    -Bi-Amp capability w/ tweeter knob, woofer high cut and tweeter high cut
    -Separate XLR Volume control

MB2-500 has:

-Footswitchable Boost
    -Headphone jack
    -Significantly smaller and lighter design

3. also the mb is simpler (fewer controls) and some people just mess with their tone if they have too many options/dials they can play with.

4. WingKL

WingKL

May 12, 2007
    I have auditioned both of these in Guitar center on GKs matrix rack and I prefer the sound of the 700RB-II over the MB2-500. The 700RB sounded sweeter while the MB 500 had a drier, sharper sound. If difference in size and weight doesn't matter to you, I'd get the 700RB. Go audition them yourself if you can.

5. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Or buy both online and play around with them in the comfort of your own home and then send one or both back if they're not for you. All the big online/mail order places have generous return policies.

6. Let me add that the Boost on the 700RB II does not affect the horn circuit. If (or when) you use the boost the horn won't get nasty with the 700RB II using the 4 conductor G-K speakon to your RBX cab. Your horn is adjusted from the 700RB II instead of the cab.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 Although I find that the 700RB-II and MB500 can sound an awful lot like each other, tonally, the 700RB-II does seem to add a bit more heft to the notes. While we haven't tested the 700RB-II's output section, I can say that the Fusion 550 (which is a similar design, though I believe based upon the 1001RB) has a ton of dynamic headroom. Also, the bi-amping feature is one that I really didn't fully appreciate until I started gigging with GK gear. It works very well, IME/IMHO.

Now, if weight and size are paramount, you really can't go wrong with the MB500.

Tom.

8. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I own both. You cant go wrong either way. I agree with Tom B. completely. (who wouldnt?, Duh!) I can get very similar tones from each by adjusting the EQ. I just played a big gig Sat. night w/ the Mb-500, thru 2 Avatar SB-112's and used the onboard D.I. out to the FOH mix. D.I. was very good , no unwanted noise or anything detrimental. The 700 RBII has a dialabe output for its DI, which can be nice but not necessary. Personally I love the fact that when using my MB-500, my Gator rack weighs 18lbs. less than when it has the 700rbII in it. Several musicians in the crowd commented that my bass rig sounded great. I run a wireless and went out front to about the middle of the crowd and it did sound very good. I tend to not use the G.I.V.E. and keep the bass tone on the mB-500 more clean and rich. I can see where some might not like the 'growl" channel and interpet it as 'dryer". But its is nice to have a choice.

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

That would be difficult to imagine, since the 700rb-II only weighs 18lbs to begin with..

- georgestrings

10. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Ok then , 14lbs. and 4oz. less, my bad:bawl:

11. I played both and wound up with the 700rb. Both were great, but I thought the 700 had a bit more balls.

12. I'd take the 700rb (or Fusion if this is a possibility). The durability/reliability of Class D don't 100% persuade me yet.
    Fusion is a great amp.

13. eadg57

eadg57

Sep 7, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I own both. While I think there are more sounds (and some features) available from the 700RB, I have been EASILY able to get MY tone with the MB500--electric and acoustic basses. The size and weight of that little guy makes a big difference to me, and I have not missed any of 700's features on a gig.

If the MB500 proves durable and reliable, I'll be really happy.

14. I own both, other than the obvious, weight, bi-amping, etc

IME the MB2-500 is a little warmer than the 700RBII

15. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Man, I love my 700rbII. I've only had the chance to audition the mb500, but my impressions are that it's missing a bit of heft (as already mentioned) in the notes, .... and it's uh..... digital sounding. The 700rbII has this sweet, "organic" thing happening that I just couldn't find in the mb. I also found the mb500 to a little less focused on the bottom end..... which may be the reason some think it's warmer.

But perhaps the biggest plus for the 700rbII is a proven track record of reliability. I've had mine for three years know, and not a single hiccup (knocking on wood). Get the gig bag for it, throw it over your shoulder, and you'll find 18 lbs isn't a whole lot of weight.

16. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    I just tried both at the music store, i cameback home with a 700RBII. You get a little more tonewise. A little more definition and a little more weight to each notes.

I had a 700rbII in the past and i sold it because i wanted to go with the new ultralite stuff. I got a markbass amp and an epifani cab, it had a great tone but i never found my tone.

Light stuff is fun but i have a hard time finding my tone, when i plug my 700rbII into a gk or mesa cab. I leave it flat and it's music to my ears...

I think that when you go with light stuff there is alwayus a compromise to be done....

I personnally highly suggest the 700RBII

17. As a long time user and fan of an 86 400RB, I've gone through "phases" of taste with the contour on or off.

Currently trying to decide between MB500 and 700RB as well.

Like that both have the contour knob to fine tune.

I am wondering if I will miss the presence knob ?

I also use an MB150S regularly, and don't use the presence much on that, but sometimes am needing to crank top end with th 400RB at gigs (w 410B or 115B cab), especially when the strings get a but old .

What about the presence knob ? Do you guys that own both miss it ever when using the MB500 ?

thanks

18. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    fwiw i basically dont use the presence knob ever on my 700rbii. if i use it its very sparingly

19. Skrapmetal

Skrapmetal

May 2, 2010
    Iowa
    I haven't owned my 700rbII long, so I'm still fiddling with the tone, but I've been enjoying the presence knob. Currently have the EQ all flat at 12 o'clock, and the Presence the same. Really sounds good with my Schecter.