1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

700rb or MB2?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RHCP250, Apr 27, 2009.

1. RHCP250

RHCP250

Nov 24, 2008
    So I'm thinking of getting a Gallien head, and dont need much more than 500 watts. I know the 700rb is a great head, but have heard mixxed reviews about the MB2. They have similar power outputs, but I'm wondering if the MB2 acheives that GK sound? If not I dont have a problem carrying a 20lb head (I'd have a problem if I couldn't). Would probably be pairing the head with a GK, Mesa, or GB cab if that means anything.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Either head would be good sound wise and power wise. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the GK MB2 despite the reports of problems with early versions. But, if it makes you feel better get the 700RB. Either will get you that GK sound. You'll probably get a better price for a 700RB.

Even more important is choice of speaker cabinets. Don't skimp here. Get the best you can find. The top of the line GK cabinets are excellent. I'm also familiar with Mesa cabinets and they are excellent too. I don't know much about Genz Benz.

3. GK MB2 hands down.

You can't beat the power/tone per pound/dollar! It's probably THE best head on the market when you examine price, tone, quality, etc. I played a brand new one at a local shop a few days ago and was absolutely blown away by this thing!

4. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    I believe they are going for the same price from RMC.

My take on the two.........
    The MB2 is really sweet. I played one of the earlier ones when everyone was complaining about the low end. Sounded great, and definitely had that GK thing happening, but honestly, I thought something was missing.... like transformers. Maybe it's a mental thing, but as much as I liked it, it just didn't have what my 700rbII has. All the growl is from the boost control, and it doesn't "ride the rails" like the 700 does when pushed.

Love my 700rbII..... If you get the bag for it, then the added weight is really no big deal.

I haven't really spent a lot of time with different cabs. I've had the 700rbII plugged into Avatars, Epi PS10's, a Peavey 210, an old Sunn, an old straight back Ampeg 810, and a pair of GK 410's. Ultimately, I settled on and play GK Neo 12's.... a 112 and a 212. Nice cabs, reasonably priced, easy to get a good tone with my amp head.... and they are a breeze to get around (love the HMS feature btw).

Ljazz

5. RHCP250

RHCP250

Nov 24, 2008
    I definitley dont mind carrying a 20lb head. My ampeg combo weighs like 90 something pounds and I carry that pig alone (I'm young I can do that kind of thing, for now at least :D). Anyway, I defintley dont plan on skimping as far as cabs go. I'd like to be able to take advantage of the full power of the 700 with a GK cab, but I love Fleas tone on californication, so the mesa is always on my mind too. I've heard that GB makes the best Neo cabs, so I've considered that too. So many choices!

6. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    I had a 700RB-II for a while, paired with a Genz NEOX-212T. It sounded very good, but I already had my Fathom and GBE-1200, so the 700RB-II was the odd man out. I would like to pick another one up someday, but for the time being I can really only justify having 2 amps.

7. I would go for the 1001rb over the others you say you dont need alot of power now but it never hurts to be prepared .

8. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    With the GK RB series heads, I think exactly the opposite. Nothing sounds better to me than a pushed GK RB..... especially the 700. In fact, I would probably be happier with the 400rbIV in my current situation. My drummer does not play very loud, so I end up drowning him out on stage when I push the 700 to growl. We run everything through the mains, so with a smaller head, I'd still be heard.

My vote is to buy as small a GK as you can get away with (power wise.... not size), and use the extra cash to ensure you have a good cab, and/or make an investment into your PA.

Ljazz

9. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    have owned three GK heads

1001RB-II
    700RB-II
    MB-2

still own

MB-2 :D

run it thru a pair of Carvin LS1503's

absolutely love this pint-sized monster :hyper::hyper::hyper:

10. squeally dan

squeally dan

Mar 30, 2008
    I'm a guitar player, new to bass. I have a used GK RB 700 I'm learning about. Don't want to hijack, but what bag are you refering too?

11. RHCP250

RHCP250

Nov 24, 2008
    I figured instead of making a new thread, I'd just ask here. Which cab would you guys choose for the 700rb? I'm thinking one of these:
    Mesa 4x10 Powerhouse
    GK 4x10 RBH or 4x10 NEO
    Genz 2x12 NEO

12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

+1...

- georgestrings

13. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    GK has a bag that fits the 400, 700 and 1001.