1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

700rbII effects loop problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hopkins, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    When using the effects loop on my 700rbII, my amp gets very muddy with a significant volume loss. When running through my board into the input with out using the effects loop everything is fine. This makes me think that there is a problem in my amp as opposed to something in my board.

I have had this amp for years, but I have never used the effects loop until recently. Could this be caused by a dirt or bad input jack on the effects loop or something internal?

2. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    You're using effects boxes that were designed for line-level signals, not ones designed for instrument-level signals, correct?

3. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Honestly I'm not sure. I've got two different tube screamer based pedals, a big muff, Boss CH-1 chorus, a B:Assmaster clone, and a Digitech Bass Synth Wah.

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Pretty sure they are all instrument level effects. Line level usually come in a rackable case.

5. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Does that mean they should or shouldn't be run through the loop? I never really knew there was a difference.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Stomp boxes should NOT go through the loop, but rather straight into the amps input. The loop is for line level gear, as found in rack mounted effects.

7. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Ok, I never knew that, though I haven't ever used many effects. I have run pedals through the effects loop on other amps an it worked fine, which is why I thought I had a problem.

Thank you all for your input.
    Paul

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Some pedals *can* work fine in the loop, it's just not the intended purpose for it. You won't hurt anything, but most pedals work and sound better straight into the input.

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1

Most pedals are designed to go between bass and amp input.

Also, effects loops use switching jacks, which can get dirty/corroded and lose contact over time, especially if you don't use them. Run a 1/4" plug in the effects loop jacks a few times to work the dust off them and ensure good contact. The switches are built into the jacks internally and are activated when you plug into them. Even if you never use them, they can lose contact and degrade sound, so just run a plug in there a few times. Sometimes it works to just run a little pedal patch cord from the send to the recieve and leave it there. Sort of helps connect the front end of the amp to the back end.

10. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    I knew it wouldn't hurt anything, I just never knew it wasn't really intended for effects pedals. I have had a few pedals for a while, but I just now put them on a board. I have never used any pedals other than my Green Rhino live and I always just ran it into the input.