Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

700RBII for Doubling?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Hey everybody...

I'm using a Clarus for doubling now, but I don't think the Class D sound is for me on electric or upright. I like transients! That is, I like an electric sound that growls a little and has more highs and lows.

In looking at a bunch of heads and specs, the GK 700RBII seems to have the best price/weight/power thing going. I don't really want to lug a power/pre around to upright gigs but I'd also like something I can crank up and do a rock or fusion gig with.

As far as the upright thing goes, I'm much more into the old electrified Eddie Gomez sound than anything else. Plus, I've got a Realist which I've heard is better with electric amps.

The 1001 RB is actually not much heavier, so I might go for that.

Any feedback? I've got an Eden XLT112 cab and an SWR 1x10 cab to power, but I might swap the SWR cab out for something else with more power handing. (acme 2x10, etc.)

What do you guys think? Nice clean punchy electric amp and okay for electric?

Will

2. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    You can get these for about $900 if you shop around. Even heard of one guy getting one for $825. I owned a 700rb-I for a couple of years and a 1001rb-II for about a week. I can say from experience that GK's have a certain harshness that to me always sounds electronic and emphasizes fretting noise and odd-order harmonics. For slappers it is probably not an issue. I play fingerstyle with TI Flats on a passive P-style bass I made myself. I had to roll off the treble control a good bit to get a smooth sound with the GK. I can run the same control almost on full with my new Eden 550. The tone controls are amazing on this head. One little click either way and you have a very different sound. Some guys love the GK sound and I can't fault them for it. For me however, the Eden head and cab I recently bought are in a different league altogether.

3. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    A couple months ago, I compared two rigs like what you're talking about. One was a Clarus/Bergie12 rig and the other was a 700RB/Avatar12 rig. I tried a BugBass EUB through each rig.

The Clarus rig was more precise and focused, but the 700RB rig was bigger and fatter sounding.

I'd think the GK head would be flexible enough to get the sound you're after...setting the Contour to 9 o'clock warms it up nicely. Its DI and all the controls are on the front, too. With electric bass, the GK can be pretty agressive sounding, too, if the Boost is pushed to noon or higher.

4. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Tornadobass should chime in on this one. He brought his 700 RB and new Avatar 1X12 cab over to my house to compare it to my Clarus / Berg HT-112 rig. we plugged in his Azola Bug Bass, although my Berg rig was more detailed sounding......the 700/Avatar rig could easily fill a small to med size room. The low end on the GK/Avatar rig had a great sound with surprising low end. My active Pilot bass had plenty of growl and presence; it was pretty loud for its size. The $'s Tbass spent on his rig, was a bit less than what I put out for the Berg and its cover.

5. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Now that's scarry! Dan, I had no idea that you were reading this post.

Steve

6. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Steve...a total coincidence...honest! But I wonder if you'd weigh in. Not only that, but we posted almost the same exact conclusions :)