70s Acoustic 370 + two 301 for $980/€900 - good deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by horak, Dec 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Is that a fair price?
    Seller says amp and cabs are in very good condition.
    What do you guys think?
    Thanks

MCF likes this.
  2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yes

yakmastermax likes this.
  3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Does it come with a van?

4. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Provided that they are in "very good condition" with no missing EQ knobs or non-original Cerwin Vega's in the cabs and not beat up - yes. They are a lot of beef, but sound glorious.

5. ...unfortunately no van included :-/

@Oren Hudson: rig indeed in very good condition, but one 301 with orig. CV187, other one with Eminence Sigma. Would this classify for a price adjustment?

6. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Try to talk him down a little. $750 would be a score. Either way get all three.

billgoodwin and BassGreaser like this.
  7. popgadget

popgadget Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    Do you want them as collector's items or for a rig to be used?
    Probably not a bad price for the former.
    Technology has come a long way since they were made for the latter.

8. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I'm not familiar with the Eminence listed, so I'm not sure about performance level. I do know that those CV's worked very well with the folded horn design. They were also used in the folded horn Sunn. I also have one in my 1972 Kustom folded horn cab. From the value side, gear is almost always worth more, sometimes considerably more, with originality, particularly a great CV speaker.

9. Thanks for all the information...
    Well, it shouldn't just be a collector's item. Also plan to use it, at least, in the band rehearsal room.
    Somewhere here on TB I've read that, to hear yourself play, you should stand at least 20 feet away from the rig. Could maybe be a problem in practice.

Eminence Sigma Pro has a resonance frequency of 28Hz and a freq. response of 41 Hz to 2,4 kHz, but I have no information on the CV. Does someone know the data for the CV?

10. bottomed!

bottomed!

Mar 17, 2015
    Thats a fantastic deal! no big deal about not having a CV in the second cab. I've heard a bunch of different speakers in 301's and all sound great.

The myth about having to stand 20 ft away to hear yourself is totally false. After you plug in for 30 seconds you'll see for your self. These are very punchy cabinets and you'll be surprised at how much treble comes out. The 370 head is a beast and I must admit that I'm very jealous because I've not actually ever heard a full two cab set up before.

Spend some time and money going through the rig making sure everything is up to spec. Abad connection can stop you dead in your tracks! I always know that when I buy something vintage, it's gonna need some extra stuff before it's ready to be put in service...

D.M.N., MCF, horak and 2 others like this.
  11. Fuzzonaut

Fuzzonaut

Aug 27, 2013
    Switzerland
    Just get it. I have a 301 (CV) in our practive room and you can hear it alright, wherever you are. That cab just fills the room with glorious sound. I'd love to have 2 of them ...

horak and 10cc like this.
  12. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Don't even worry about that myth.

horak likes this.
  13. billgoodwin

billgoodwin

Mar 28, 2011
    Roanoke,VA
    370 - pant leg flappin' goodness. yep good deal - i paid $425 for just my 370 and worth every penny.

horak and 10cc like this.
  14. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Would love to score a 301 for my 370 and a 406 just to have. Love all Acoustic!

15. Muchas gracias everyone for demystifying the myth.
    I'm gonna check out the rig in upcoming week. If you're not gonna hear from me again, I certainly got lost in 2x301 nirvana...

@billgoodwin: is that a 360 above the 370 in your avatar? Which one do you like better?

@10cc: bassplaying friend of mine got a 406. We combined it with a Fender Dual Showman Reverb head, played a vintage Epiphone Rivoli thru it, and nearly broke the sonic barrier. Crazy setup indeed.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    extrabold likes this.
  16. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I'd be all over that for that price.

D.M.N. and MCF like this.
  17. Fuzzonaut

Fuzzonaut

Aug 27, 2013
    Switzerland
    By the way: the DOD Meatbox is amazing through the 301.

18. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

A 370 with two 301 cabinets is an unheard of find these days. As a point of comparison, I traded a 320 head and 408 cabinet for a Ric 4003 in a limited edition cover. I sold the Ric for $1800. My stack had covers and a footswitch, which the one you are looking at probably doesn't have, but you are looking at two cabinets, not just one. You would have to adjust for the fact that the stack I sold was a bit newer and a bit different in that the 408 isn't a folded horn. It was the successor to what you are looking at, so I think the comparison is valid.

As far as hearing the sound, you can hear it up close just fine. I kept the original 360 I have and use it in the band room as an overkill practice amp. It's perfectly audible from anywhere. Turning it up doesn't happen, because that's a guarantee of hearing loss even with ear plugs, but it works fine in a smallish room. And it sounds like it should. You will have the same experience with the rig you are looking at.

10cc and Jim Carr like this.
  19. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I used a 301 for many years with a 200 watt Marshall Major head. The idea that "you should stand at least 20 feet away" is false. Upper midrange and midrange response of the cabinet is not great, and dispersion of the midrange is pretty directional. That may explain the origin of the "stand back" claim.

20. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    My first real bass rig :hyper: ....except I had a Cerwin Vega inverted half cab(fiberglassed, 18", wheels) on the other side of the drum riser with the 301 cab on my side.

Excellent deal if it all works well and isn't trashed physically.
    If it was near here, I'd probably be looking for a storage spot for it now.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021