70s Ampeg 2x15 cab $250 good deal

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderaholic, Jul 31, 2005.

1. fenderaholic

May 25, 2005
    Burbank ca

i aminterested in somone selling a 70s ampeg 2x15 cab for $250. the cab is in very used condition and the speakers have bin replaced with peavey black widows in 4ohms. i dont have the room for it but if its a good deal maybe i sound jump on it ? also its a local pickup up so i dont have to worry about shipping. right now i have a ampeg b2r and a apmeg 8x10e.
  2. dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    i would say get it, if not ill buy it ;)
  3. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I owned one of those about ten years back. Sounded very muddy and loose in the lows. This was probably due to the fact that the ports were just big square holes in the front. I traded it for a 4x10 and never looked back.
  4. fenderaholic

May 25, 2005
    Burbank ca
    is it that cheap becuase the speakers have bin replaced ? becuase i realy dont need it right now nor do i have the room for it. im playing my 8x10 im my little room i dont even gig yet :meh:
  5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    i guess that would be the cab that originally came with the v-4b. i would like to try one but they are big and heavy. i would say that price is a bit high. the 810 should be enough cab for you to jam in your room i would think unless you really want it. in that case I would try to talk it down some.
  6. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Out here, that is not a great price for an old, beat 2x15" SVT with replaced speakers. I turned one down for $200 about six months back, in relatively good cosmetic condition (it had been in a guy's garage since the '70s, supposedly). The speakers were old non-Ampeg replacements, too, so the cab was probably only good for handling a total of around 150WRMS, assuming the drivers were even still functional. To make it of any use to me, I would have had to replace the drivers with modern ones, which would have knocked the price up around where I could get a better cab anyway.

I know nothing of these Peavey drivers, but if they are modern bass speakers that can each handle a nominal 200WRMS, say, it might not be bad at that price, I dunno, assuming they aren't a gross acoustic mismatch for the cab. It's not a great deal in any case.
  7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Peavey Black Widows are usually praised. That said, try to talk the price down some if you really want the cab.
  8. 8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
  9. fenderaholic

May 25, 2005
    Burbank ca
    thanks u very much 8mm no i didnt buy it yet . the one i was interested in was on ebay local pickup los angles area. so i thought maybe i could make a deal outside of ebay. the acoution ended and i had no way of contactiog the seller. i will look into this one :)
  10. Check your internet explorer history or if you have the item number, watched items maybe? anyway to get to the page that had the listing and contact the guy that way?

I'll give a short review on the peavey BW's when i get my 2x15 :D
  11. 8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Apparently those links change daily, here is todays for you

The one I am talking about is listed at www.recycler.com & his lsted area codes are 562 & 949, thats just south of you, right? I just picked up an early 90's Ampeg 212 guitar cab from the recycler for $100, generally its less expensive than ebay since the seller has no fees.

Anyway, I usually peek at the recycler online classifeds every few days & remembered your post so I will leave it at that.
  12. they dont change daily at all, ive looked back and checked items that i looked at 2-3 weeks back (as far as my history is set to go)
  13. 8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    You mean ebay, right? If I click on that LA Recycler link I posted yesterday, it doesnt go to the ad anymore. But yes, the old ebay links will stay active for months on end.

BTW, what tubes did you buy? :)
  14. ah right, yeah i was just meaning ebay, sorry, my bad

placed an order for:

3x JJ 12AX7 "High Gain"s
    1x JJ 12AX7 "Balanced"
    2x JJ 12AU7 "Balanced"

( the balanced ones for the driver section )

placed the order yesterday, think it go shipped today, so, 7-14 days later i'll give a short review :)