1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

70's Ampeg B 25b cab concern

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Timderby, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Timderby

Timderby

May 14, 2012
    I have a 1970's b25b cab (switched 8/16ohm) and am currently using a gk 350w solid state head. I honestly have a limited tech knowledge in general and don't know much about the older gear but I love this cab so far. The setup has been good to me but I want to upgrade to a better head soon (no particular one in mind yet). A friend recommended I upsize the wiring inside the cab to be able to handle a more powerful head. Is it necessary? Anyone have any suggestions for that or any other precautions? Should I shoot for a similar era head to match or plan on buying a newer cab as well?

I play in a pop-punk/rock band gigging a couple times a month. Some shows are at pro venues with mic'd setups, some are open floor shows with no amp micing at all so I need a setup that can handle being cranked sometimes

Thanks

2. You can increase the wire size (smaller gauge number) if it makes you feel good. The wire run is so short chances are excellent it is not needed.

3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Agreed. I have run a B25B cab with original wiring with a Sunn Coliseum cranked pretty good for years with no problem. :cool:

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, the wiring is fine if it's working and it won't increase your power handling to make it thicker. Waste of money. But how do you switch it between 8 and 16 ohms? I thought they were factory wired for 16 ohms and could only be rewired to 4 ohms...

5. Timderby

Timderby

May 14, 2012
    Thanks for the responses! It's a switch on the back and yeah it is 16/4 that was a typo haha, sorry