1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

70's Ampeg Fridges. How many ohms per speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by albass111, Mar 2, 2008.

1. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have an 810 from the mid 70's with the square magnets. Anyone know how many ohms each speaker is? I have heard 8ohms and 32 ohms. Pretty big discrepancy.

2. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick, Mesa Boogie, Joyo, Dr. J, Levy's Leathers
    Are the speakers wired parallel or series?

3. If you have a voltmeter(multimeter) or access to one, you can test the cab as a whole, or a speaker individually.

4. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    32 ohms for the standard Ampeg 810.

5. bassblast

bassblast

Feb 25, 2008
    NY/NJ
    32 ohmsssssssssss !

6. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    +1 32 ohmns

7. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    32 is the winner...... same for most later units in the SLM era also.

8. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    Jerrold should know more than any of us , but i didnt know ampeg ever used anything other than 32 ohm speakers in the 810 cabs .......

9. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Does that mean that today's ampegs 810's are 32ohms?

10. 8 32 ohm speakers in a parallel gives you 4 ohms total, which is what I think the 810 is. I've got an ampeg 410 with 32 ohm speakers, for an 8 ohm total.

11. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Correct. They are 32 ohm CTS's, most likely. They are by far the best 10" speakers I've heard in an SVT, although I haven't heard the SVT cabs with Edens.

12. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    There have been some biampable, or splittable cabinets, and I don't remember if they all used 32 ohm speakers.

Traditional straight 810 units I believe were always 32 ohms.

The Eden speakers were good speakers, but I am not personally sure they were the very best for the 810. That's a matter of opinion, so I won't feel bad if everyone jumps me on it.

13. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    jerrold , what years did ampeg use the eden speakers ? just asking so ill know if i have heard the difference ... for some reason not all 810 classics or older cabs sound the same ... ive heard a few i didnt like at all , and some i loved more than my own ....

14. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    According to the Ampeg book, the Edens were only available in 1994 and soon dropped because of limited availability, then stamped frame Celestions "with similar tonal and power handling characteristics" were used for a while, then they used cast-frame Eminences as the upgrade speaker. Since the book only goes up to about 98, I have no idea what they used since then.

15. sgfender85

sgfender85

Sep 10, 2005
    Yes my 70's 810 has 32 ohm CTS's... Does anyone know how many watts these things can handle? I know the old SVT heads were 300 watts... Does tube power amps put out more than normal amps? I just recently got my cab and when testing it out the guy only had a 200 watt PA mixer to play through, and at only 200 watts it was really loud! I was thinking of building a rack off of a 1200 or so watt amp. I dont want to put too much power to this and blow it up.

16. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    You asked a loaded question. (tube vs. SS watts) That has been covered in other threads, and I STILL do not definitively know what I think because my ears tell me something different than the facts. However, (as proved many times before) in short, a watt is a watt.

AFAIK, the speakers are 35 watts each for a total of 280watts and mine has the square magnets. This pairs up nicely with with the 300 watt SVT. The new 810's are 800 watts I believe. As far as overloading, I haven't had a problem with any head including a DB750, but I can say this thing sounds warmer than the 810s of today.