70's Ampeg v-4b question. Should I buy this one??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sangmang, May 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Sangmang

Sangmang

May 28, 2016
    Cleveland, OH
    On ebay for $800(including shipping). Recently retubed and recapped. Comes with brand new red base matched quad of 7027A output tubes. I think it's a '76-'79 model. Good condition.

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    If you have the cash and want/need the amp getting one that's already been recapped and has recent tubes/service is a good way to go. Looking at the few amps available on ebay now the price seems to be about market rate.

3. Sangmang

Sangmang

May 28, 2016
    Cleveland, OH
    @Old Garage-Bander

@coreyfyfe thanks. Yeah that's what I've been seeing. I guess I was pretty much wondering if people thought that was a fair price and looking for some encouragement to spend that $$.

4. Sangmang

Sangmang

May 28, 2016
    Cleveland, OH
    @Old Garage-Bander I guess they don't allow the middle finger emoji here, which was my reply to your comment incase you were wondering

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  5. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

I've been using Ampegs for many years and have had many models, I would spend a few more bucks and get an SVT, way more power and more solid sounding and actually better tone controls which translates into getting a good solid clean sound even at ridiculous volumes if you need it, V4-B's don't have a lot of headroom and don't sound as good as an SVT. I had one years ago and it sounded good until you needed that extra oomph and then it just didn't have it. They just don't have the punch an SVT has. I used to use mine mainly for practice. I have seen SVT's go for 1000.00 - 1200.00 recently.

spaz21387 and adbass like this.
  6. Sangmang

Sangmang

May 28, 2016
    Cleveland, OH
    If I saw an SVT for that price I would absolutely snag it. The ones ive seen in good working condition have been more in the $1500 range or $2k+ with cab though, at least in my area. I have been playing a 4001 Rick straight into a Sunn 200s recently. I absolutely love the tone, mostly clean with a little break up. It's perfect for the psych-rock/pop project i'm in. I pretty much need to max it out however in order to be heard well. The 200s is rated at 60 watts i think? So I'm figuring a v-4b would be just perfect. I also own a solid state ampeg svt-450h which, after playing through the Sunn, sounds like a tin can to me. Lol, not exactly but it leaves a lot to be desired. Anyways, yeah, SVT I get is pretty much the holy grail but tends to be a little out of my price range.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  7. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

Feb 10, 2009
    SVT II nonpro could be within budget. They come up for sale at around $1K.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  8. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma

If you've been getting by with a 200S then a V4 will be fine. The V4/V4B doesn't quite have that low mid heft that the SVT power amp imparts when the eq is set the same, but they're pretty close and you can move knobs. What are you using for a cab? As much as I love my SVT I also love the V4 for the added versatility of having an 8 ohm tap. Gives me more flexibility for scaling my cabs to the gig. With a 4001 that extra little bit of treble and mid bite from the V4 really sounds nice.

9. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Welcome to the forum Sangmang.
    I love mine, they're cool amps but keep in mind that they're nearly 27" wide and overhang most cabs.

10. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

Check out ebay, I just saw for example an SVT-CL head for 899.00 and another one at 1000.00, also an MTI head and cab for 1400 bucks, not sure where you are but you can usually find them close enough to go pick them up. It's worth the wait, if you are maxing out a Sunn 200S you'll probably max out the V4-B.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  11. Hey gang.
    I appreciate your support, but wish to request that folks don't hit the Like button for my response.
    I clearly said something in a way that upset the other person, and that is not deserving of of a like.
    Thank you.

Sangmang likes this.
  12. Sangmang

Sangmang

May 28, 2016
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think that's the last little push I needed so I bought it this afternoon. Should get it in a week or so. I'll update after i plug in. Thanks!

13. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I like my v4b reissue but i love my svt. I agree with the posts about the clean headroom and better eq. The v4b is a great amp but it breaks up early. I got my svt for 700 on craigslist btw. It was in seattle im in portland. It was totally worth the 7 hours in the car

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022