70's Blues/Rock

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassksun, Oct 6, 2005.

1. bassksun

bassksun Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    I waded through 1000's of search results and couldn't find my answer so...

I am trying to get that blues/rock sound out of my FJ. I want the early Grand Funk, The Band, Cream, post Jamerson Motown, Memphis-Stax sound. Any suggestions for strings? I got Chromes on my fretless which is cool but doesn't exactly give me that "sound" on my J.

Thanks as usual.
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Well, it's gonna be flatwounds for MOST of those sounds. Try Fender flats, LaBellas (what Jamerson used)...those would be the most common from that period.
  3. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    For what it's worth, Rick Danko (the Band) and Duck Dunn (Stax) used P-Basses, and if you're thinking Bob Babbitt for post-Jamerson Motown, he did too.
    Mel Schacher (if that's how you spell his name) of Grand Funk did indeed use a Jazz, at least some of the time. Jack Bruce used a Gibson EB-3, of course, and later in the '70s he used things like a Fender Telecaster Bass, a Dan Armstrong plexiglass see-through bass, and an Aria.
    Once you start thinking about amps, it gets even more complicated.
    But, yeah, Fender or Labella flatwounds are the most common strings from that period, for those styles.
  4. Virus

Apr 16, 2004
    Fender flats are definately the way to go.
  5. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
  6. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I think a P or J with Labellas through a good tube amp will get you real close. For the rest you'll need divine inspiration.
  7. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I play a jazz bass in a classic rock /blues cover band and love the sound and feel of SIT silencers. I get alot of compliments on my tone.....i like the roundwound flat combo sound that fits the various types of music we cover. I just ordered an SX P bass and will put SIT power flats on it to see if it covers the blues sound im looking for. SIT strings rock.
  8. bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Thanks all for your help! I want to try Fender Flats for 5 string Jazz...but where to find them? None of the stores in LV have them (don't even talk ed roman to me) juststrings.com-no; musiciansfriend-no;amazon.com-no. online suggestions or did I miss something :confused:

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Hmm... IMHO, using an underpowered tube amp will get you that tone, regardless of what kind of strings you use. :)
  10. bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Hmmm... :cool: