1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

70's Bridge Location.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Groover, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Last night I noticed that my '73 Fender Jazz has not only the PUP moved back 1/4", but the actual bridge is also moved back equally (1/4"). Is that normal?

So ultimately, the distance from the bridge back (where the string balls stop) to the bridge pickup on the '73 ends up being the same distance as that same space on the '96.

The bases in question here are a '73 Jazz compared to a '96 MIA.

That was a new discovery for me :eek: Just thought I'd share.

2. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    34" scale is 34" scale. If you measure from the nut to the saddle, it should be simmilar, if both have the same strings and are intonated correctly. The bridge itslef might be mounted in a different location, but proper saddle location is pretty much just math ... should always be the same.

3. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    is it a stock bridge or aftermarket?

4. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Pickles, very true on the saddles. The previous owner put longer screws on the D and G saddles so they could come out a little more.

Mark, it's the stock bridge.

I've been looking around and I noticed someone else mentioned this on an early 70's bass.... maybe a normal thing?