1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

'70s Carl Thompson fretless, $2100 in Albany NY

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by KUNGfuSHERIFF, Aug 25, 2012.

1. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Which shop is this? I used to visit Lark St. back in the day... heard they're in NJ now.

2. Drome Sound, like it says in the ad. I hung at Buzzy's shop a lot back then. His stuff isn't priced cheap but he's a no-BS businessman. He's in Teaneck or someplace now.

3. hifibass

hifibass

Feb 4, 2008
    Albany, NY
    Bridge looks wrong, Carl used a Badass bridge when this was made. Control cover looks a little questionable too. No pics of the back or S/N either. +1 on the caveat emptor too, bought a Showman head from them in the 70's, got it home and then noticed the S/N had been drilled off.

4. I can't put my finger on it, but something doesn't look quite right in the pictures.

5. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Before you buy give Carl a call. Or drop by and catch his weekly gig.

If nothing else you'll get out of the house and get to meet a living legend.

6. hifibass

hifibass

Feb 4, 2008
    Albany, NY
    What do you think the chances are that CT used an after-market, square, gold, DiMarzio logo'd, neck plate to mount the neck on a bass with chrome Schaller tuners? Or, that he'd intentionally not drill two of the bridge mounting holes for the non-Badass bridge. I'm no expert on CT basses but I've never seen one this way.

7. Ken, did you go eyeball/play it?

8. hifibass

hifibass

Feb 4, 2008
    Albany, NY
    Yup, plays well but the action is a little high for me. Well built but the DiMarzio gold neck plate, the gold aftermarket bridge (with chrome Schaller tuners) and the heel (which is just a straight cut at a 30 degree angle) just don't seem right to me. It's on consignment and Drome has no history on it or an explanation for the irregularities. They trust that it's real but honestly don't know. In all fairness I doubt there has EVER been a CT in a shop around here. If it's a copy, it's a decent one. If it's real....CT took some shortcuts.

9. frootbooty

frootbooty Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Las Vegas
    The body and neck really look like a CT to me. I can't tell if the control cover and the nut are the same wood from the pics. I had a 95 CT and the control cover on it didn't match anything on the rest of the bass. It was on the back though.
    Similar situation here at a pawn shop in Las Vegas. They have what appears to be a CT neck on a generic p bass body. I'm almost sure the neck is legit. I highly doubt that Carl made the whole bass though, as there is a huge gap in the neck pocket. It plays really well and is only $700.

10. Are there pictures online? Do pawn shops do that? I have seen a Fender with a CT replacement neck. Can't remember if it was a P or J. The neck had an angled headstock, and Carl may have even routed the neck pocket to change the neck angle...

11. Also for comparison's sake, this '79 CT fretless recently sold on eBay. The seller was Guitar Villa in PA.

Attached Files:

12. frootbooty

frootbooty Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Las Vegas
    I just went down to the pawn shop and checked it out again. The neck is an original CT from October 1980. The body is not a CT. The body is incredibly similar to a bass that just sold on ebay recently which was represented to be a Dimarzio shop bass, basically a natural p-bass body with a Dimarzio pickup and Dimarzio neck plate. It has a volume, tone, and 3 position switch. One position on the switch is a mute. The other 2 positions sound exactly the same to my ear. The volume knob is either full on or full off; there is no in between.
    The good: Neck feels comfortable and the whole bass is incredibly light.
    The bad: Huge gap on either side of the neck pocket. G string is really close to the edge of the neck (either the bridge is off or the neck is not centered in the pocket). Volume pot is scratchy. Frets have very minimal life left. Seriously, hardly any fret there at this point. Neck is backbowed. When fretting the 1st and 20th frets, there is no relief in the neck, it is totally bottomed out. I was not able to take the cover off to see if there is an adjustable truss rod. The truss cover is really crooked as well.
    photo.

13. Thanks for posting a picture. It would be interesting to know the history on this bass.

14. hifibass

hifibass

Feb 4, 2008
    Albany, NY
    I just heard back from Aaron at the CT Shop and here's his comment:

"I agree that I have never seen a neck plate arrangement like that on a CT. From what I can see the body design looks like a CT".

So, is it is or is it isn't? I have no freakin' idea one way or the other!

15. I contacted them last week and they said the bass had sold...just an FYI. Still seems fishy.

16. dblbass

dblbass Commercial User

Mar 24, 2007
    Beacon, NY
    Owner of MBJ guitars, Maker of fine sawdust for Carl Thompson Guitars
    Body and neck look real. Some of the parts were probably replaced somewhere along the line.