1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

70's CTS 10"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The cadejo, Apr 14, 2009.

1. The cadejo

The cadejo

Apr 14, 2009
    I have an 810 with 73 CtS speakers 2 are blown. How much would an old 73 CTS speaker run me? What's good, fair or just to much?
    Any help would be a great help.

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

I believe CTS no longer makes speakers. Reconing may be your only option.

3. The cadejo

The cadejo

Apr 14, 2009
    I meant if I found on ob ebay or what not. I found a site that had one old 73 CTS, but it was 100$ is that about the going rate or should I be able to find them cheaper. I want an original not a recone .

4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

If you want originals, you're going to have to pay what people ask...they're rare.

The other issue is the worry that you may get one that's seen better days.

5. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Rick is right. "Original" (none rebuilt) speakers are 36 years old now and chances are, if they haven't been already, they'll need rebuilding sooner or later. I'm not sure why you don't want to rebuild the original speaker to the cab. IMO, it's always better to keep everything together that came together. :cool:

6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    The going rate seems to be 75-100 per speaker on ebay which is kind of ridiculous if you think about it, but as said above, you have to pay what they're asking. If you look hard enought, you can sometimes find a deal. I sold my old CTS speakers from my 70's 4x10 for $100 to a friend who was replacing speakers in his 8x10.

+1 to seeing if they can be reconed.

7. dlegault

dlegault

Nov 11, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I've had two of my '74 CTS 10's out of my 810 reconed in the last year, at about 65 each. There really isn't any noticeable difference in the tone, if that's what you're worried about.

I don't see where you're located in your profile, but in the off chance you're located near Milwaukee, shoot me a PM and I can give you a referral to the guy I use. He does excellent work.

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The problem there lies in the fact that the original parts are not available, so what a reconer will have to use is generic parts, with results that might beae little resemblance to the original. I'd lean towards selling the six working drivers, you know what you can get for them, and replace them with new ones from Weber or Jensen, assuming you want to retain the characteristics of the originals.

9. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    As someone who had all 8 of his CTS's reconed last year, I have to say that I'm entirely happy with the job they did and my cab sounds amazing now. I have no idea how accurate they were with the inner parts, but the sound of my cab blows away any other 810 I've ever heard, so I can't complain.

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Chances are they used better parts than the originals did, which wouldn't be all that difficult, considering that they were a lot closer to bottom of the line than top of the line drivers. OTOH I've seen many a complaint about reconed JBLs, Altecs and EVs where original mfr. parts weren't used.

12. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    Finding 10" CTS isn't super tough, but finding the right year and a cosmetic match to what you have will be hard. If you want a cosmetic match and to keep your speaker codes consistent, you're most likely stuck with reconing.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ya, especially in light of what Bill said about them actually using better parts instead of the original ones. Attention to detail means a big price difference if you ever want to sell it. You won't get rich off selling an old SVT cab but you would probably get enough money out of it to make reconing worth it.

14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Weber VST is where I would try first for a replacement. Reconing is certainly an option. In my view of things, when getting speakers reconed, it is the quality of the guy doing the work rather than that of the kit that makes the biggest difference... there are some hacks out there in other words... get a good guy and pay him for hte work.

Collectibility is just not a concern for me so I would probably try Ted Weber frst...

15. The cadejo

The cadejo

Apr 14, 2009
    Thanks guys. I'm not sure which way i'm going to go. Do to my money status or lack there of I say screw it and sell them and go for the Webers. i've read nothing but good reviews on them. Also there was one replacement speaker in the cab so if I were to recone I would still be down a speaker.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The Webers are supposed to be identical to the old CTS's, and judging from Weber's reputation, I could believe it. Are you selling them all or just getting a single Weber and keeping the old ones?

If you end up getting any Webers, please check back in and report on what you think as compared to the CTS's.

17. dlegault

dlegault

Nov 11, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    +1

I'd be very interested in a comparison as well.