Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

70's Disco Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pstone123, Jan 4, 2003.

1. pstone123

pstone123

Jan 4, 2003
    UK
    I am trying to get a 70's bass sound on a recording I am doing, any practical advice? Also, what models of bass did the 70's disco players (e.g. Bernard Edwards) use?

2. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    P-Bass all the way.

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    mostly ps and js- you can hear the sound of the p geting slapped on a lot of hits- the break on Rose Royce's ' Car Wash" and " Forget me nots" by Patrice Rushen ( later remixed by the Fresh Prince as Men in Black ) but there were a lot of J's and i suspect a lot of the tigher sounding stuff was done on Js- Bernard Edwards ( RIP) sound was tight- i dont think it was a P- maybe a J or a Gibson-
    Rich Finch from KC and the Sunshine Band- whom i toured with for 3 years played a Jazz bass- and if youre thinking Brothers Johnson- thats a Stingray. Not much to choose from back then... but it worked!! the 70s jazz bass is a fovorite- i am having a version built as we speak , block inlays and all!!
    heres a bass layer article they did on Rich and yours truly makes a small cameo----
    http://archive.bassplayer.com/z2001/0103/finch.shtml

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    most of the 70's Disco Bass players used a P Bass with the J Bass close behind.Benard Edwards used P Basses and MusicMan stingrays and on occassion he used a BC Rich(Mockingbird)

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    thats right Jauqo - i forgot the BC rich- thats what he was playing that i couldnt think of- frankly- i dont hear the p bass sound in Chichs wrok- his pkaying was ultra tight and staccato- and a lot of noytes- too tight for a p bass, i think.. but what do i know???;)

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Bernard Edwards also played an Ibanez Musician on occiasion.

7. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    It doesn't get anymore disco than an ash bodied brown with black pickguard and maple neck P-Bass!

They're for sale all the time on ebay.

8. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    If i'm not mistaken, Bernard Edwards main ax was a stingray with flats ;) As for the others it was mostly the Fenders (on the recordings). What they played live varied greatly.

9. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Er.....Other artist that is.