Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

70's Fender 400 PS bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Telepunk, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Telepunk

Telepunk

Jul 14, 2002
    Cleveland, OH
    I was thinking of gettting the bassman 135, but you guys are all saying it might not be loud enough for live shows.....
    And I can't locate or even get a comment really about the Fender Studio Bass amp, hunt hint...
    On ampwares.com I stumbled onto the Fender 400 ps bass, it has 435 watts!!!!!!

I guess you need 3 speaker cabs and it puts 145 watts to each output, or you can plug it into this big funky cab it came with......

Are these hard to come by as well? And how do they sound????

I can't even find a review on harmony-cental.com user reviews on this one.......

Let me know what you think/find out about this amp!
    Thanks!

P.S. Check out the link

Fender 400 PS Bass
    http://www.timeelect.com/400-histy.htm

2. I think I'd stay away from that one if I were you. They were very boomy, very heavy and they were not produced for very long which means if repair becomes necessary (hint...it'll be necessary), parts will be hard to come by. IMHO, the only bass amp from that era that is really usable and worth using is the SVT. Most everything else is underpowered (like Fender's Bassman and Showman amps) for modern stage use or ridiculously cumbersome (like the 400 PS or the Acoustic 360). You can do lots better for the money; be patient!

3. If you want 400 tube watts, get an Aguilar DB728 and a nice preamp. Nobody should have to lug around 100 pounds when they can do the job in 70.

4. Telepunk

Telepunk

Jul 14, 2002
    Cleveland, OH
    Wow, you guys gave a whole lot of insight, thanks a lot, and anyone else keep the opinions coming.....

5. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    I have seen them and their little brother the 300ps on ebay from time to time. Keep looking there and you should see one sooner or later.

6. Telepunk

Telepunk

Jul 14, 2002
    Cleveland, OH
    Oh believe me I will!:)
    Is the 300 PS meant for guitar or bass?

I seen a Fender PS PA head on ebay....

7. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    IIRC, I think I read in a fender amp book that both amps were marketed for both guitar and bass.

8. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    My god, can anybody imagine actually playing guitar through a 400PS? If you had the cabs to handle it, that would be scary stupid loud. I mean insane!

Telepunk, I'd think you'd be much better off finding an old SVT or Hiwatt 200 than a 3 or 400PS. My $.02

9. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I love my fender bassmans I have a 100 now, and bought a 135 last week on ebay. I have searched and searched. I play blues and it is the PERFECT sound for me. In my opionion they are extremely versital. I have an ashdown 2x10 and a bag end 1x15 so roughly two hundred watts is going to be more than enough for me. Actually I play small-medium gigs with the 100 and it does extremely well. If i need more power, I use my boss bass limiter and my 15, but now I will have added head room. I would say get your self 3 ashdown 2x10s, and hook them up. I can roll off the bass crank the trebble and get this perfect punk sound, and if you ever decide to play ska or reggae, man in my opionion the tone cant be beat, however the low wattage cant really push a huge speaker in loud band situations. The only reason I say get an ashdown cabinet (or a bag end) is that they have efficient speakers giving you more decibles per watt. (ashdown 102 dB 1 watt@ 1meter, Bag End 103 dB 1watt @ 1 meter!!!) So if your favorite cabinet company may have high effiency drivers, go for it. However, you would probably break the bank getting the whole rig all at one time, It took me 4 years to gather all the goodies together good luck fellow fender believer

10. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    In 73 my band opened for heart in Vancover. Their backline was Fender 400 PS. I thought they sounded great. Fast forward to a couple years ago. I won a bid on Ebay for one. The Dealer did a crap job of packing the amp and it was destroyed in transit. It took 2 UPS guys to unload it. The dealer refunded my money, but I think the amp didn't work in the first place and he knew the amp wouldn't survive the shipping from coast to coast. My tube guru who builds amps for Robert Cray, said these amps were great boat anchors.

11. I've got a book at home on Fender Amps and the 400 is in it. The book doesn't speak too kindly of this amp so be warned. My first decent bass amp was a Black faced Bassman with a small 2x12 cab. Dumbest thing I ever did was sell it when I got my Kustom 200. Selling the Kustom was just about as dumb. Oh well. :D

12. I know where there is a Studio Bass amp for sale. They've got it priced at like $575 or more. That store can be ridiculous sometimes. They've got a Bassman 10 for like $450.

The Studio Bass looks pretty cool, tons of 6L6's in the back. I don't think it would be loud enough to gig with just because it's only got the single 15". I will say that 100 Watts is enough to gig with, but you need huge efficient cab(s). I played forever with an Ampeg V4B and a Distex 18" sugar-scoop. Loud as hell. The Sugar scoop was 4' x 2' x 2'. Literally a small refrigerator, but it took those 100 Watts of bass and made it as loud as (3) Marshall 4x12 half stacks! I never had to go through the PA, and I only had 100 Watts. I was loud and low.

So you can do small gigs with 100 Watt tube amps, but the speakers have got to be horn-loaded or really efficient and loud. None of this rinky-dink hi-fidelity stuff that needs 2000 Watts just to match up to drums.

Chris

13. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Sheesh, and with the proper sized, efficient cabs, this 450 must have been used to knock out walls and stuff. :p

14. after looking at the site, that thing is a monster! I am scared of any amp that can melt tubes.

15. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    DUDE!!!!!!!!!! I WANT ONE if it can melt tubes.......wow I suppose it goes along with my 67 fire bird and mental penis size compensation...hehe

16. Dood, the 67 'bird is my dream car!! send me pics.

17. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've owned a 300ps ad it's 300 watts into 8ohms from one output. I really liked the amp. but sold it for my alembic F-1/steward PA1000 set up.

18. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

May 25, 2009
    Stavenisse
  19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    This thread is from 2002. The OP has probably died from old age by now.

20. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    [​IMG]