1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'70's fender bassman 10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Fender Bassman 10: 50 watt 4-10 combo...
    I used to use one of these back in the day, and remember it fondly. Fairly light, pretty portable, and as I recall, powerful enuff, mostly, and nice tone.
    Anyone else used to use these remember them well? Wish I'd kept mine...

2. Rocky55

Rocky55 Supporting Member

Yup - that's what I learned to play on, well, I mean my dad's '61 Pbass through HIS Bassman 10. He still has it and I always plug in when I visit. I still love the tone of that amp. I will own it some day. :smug:

Rocky

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I want one.

4. The Bassman 10 was my first amp in 1974. I used it with a brand new '75 Fender jazz for a few years. What a great combination. I used to get a wonderful distortion tone from the amp by cranking the treble and cutting the bass and mids. I would use the bridge pickup only, and those tubes would emit such a thick and creamy tone.

Unfortunately the jazz was stolen in '76. I miss the bass and the amp and would love to have that combination back someday.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Just sold mine last year and I don't miss it a bit.

Fairly light? Well, compared to a Hummer maybe :help:

The thing weighed a ton and the handle on the top was almost useless.

6. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    I use to drool over that amp in the Fender catalog. I always wanted one, but as a teenager I couldn't afford it. I still think they're cool.

Cheers,
    Jim

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Nice guitar amp. They sell for 400 to 450 on the Portland, OR CL pretty often. I suppose it might be the same one going from house to house but it seems that they are plentiful. Not great bass amp's IMO but YMMV...

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You CAN'T want one...you don't like the sound of 10s...remember ;) :D

I played through one at my first public performance, a recital for the music store I took lessons at... I remember the tone was really deep and warm. My teacher later complimented me on my tone and I smiled and said thanks (mentally wishing that I had sounded like Chris Squire instead)...

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Well, MOST modern 10s I don't like. The ones in the Traynor YC-610 sound amazing, IMHO.

10. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I never lusted after those. Vox made a 100 watt bass rig,
    I wet myself often looking at that old catalog and yearning
    for a nice rig.

11. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Most of the ones I've seen sounded crappy. Why? Because usually at least one driver was blown and the rest had bent voice coils.

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I used to drool over the Acoustic catalog (370 with two 301s or a 370, a 301 and a 406 (2x15))...or the Carvin catalog in the mid '70s when they offered a "stack" with a pair of 2x18 cabinets!!! Probably Sunn Coliseum Bass amps (with the stacked 1x18 folded horns) and to a lesser extent an SVT with a pair of 8x10s (which was an Ampeg requirement at the time).

I'm kind of surprised that I wasn't smitten with Ampegs as I was a huge Black Oak Arkansas at the time (still love Dirty's tone)...

Oops...don't wanna derail the thread... Brand new Fender amps smelled really good back then!!!

14. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

.[​IMG]