Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

70's Fender Jazz Owners - Need your help (Measurement)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Groover, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Hi, I'm thinking about getting a signature bass body from a guy on eBay. I contacted the seller to find out if he knew if the sig bodies have 70's PUP spacing (bridge J closer to bridge), but he's not sure.

He told me however that some of the Earlier sig bodies have different spacing, which might be more like the 70's jazz.

He can measure them for me, but I don't really know what they are supposed to be.

If you have a 70's Fender Jazz (or MIA reissue), could you give me some measurements please?

He sells without neck, so I guess I would probably need the following:

Distance from Tail-End of neck pocket to centerline of both Neck and Bridge pickups.

I've tried finding this info, but I just find bits and pieces but can never get the true dimensions.

Thanks for your help.

2. exactly WHAT are these signature bass bodies you talk about? Whose signature? is it a brand name? Why can't I find one on eBay? point me to one.

3. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
  4. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Thanks Joshua. You actually pointed those out to me in a similar post I had a week or so ago I had. I think that'll do. Hopefully, he can plop a Jazz neck on and give me some measurements from the bodies he has.

Damn Gas... keeps my mind way too occupied! :rollno:

5. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    So, if I'm deciphering those numbers properly, there is a 3 5/8" space between the pups on the 60s basses and a 4" space between the pups on the 70s basses. The 70s bridge pup was set back 3/8". Is that correct?

6. if the neck pocket is 3/4" deep, isn't that 1/8" deeper than Fender spec? The 1/16" wider neck pocket isn't a concern.

couldn't tell ya about the pickup locations, blah blah.

7. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Yes, the neck pocket is deeper than the standard Fender neck pocket. This causes the fingerboard ti sit rather low at the body joint, and you have to get the saddles pretty low to dial in the action. I've found that I kind of like the low spacing between the strings and the body, but I am a 100% fingerstyle player and don't slap.

8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The body in that auction has a 70's pickup spacing. The easiest way to tell without being able to measure it is; look at how the rear pickup lines up with knob #3 on the control plate. If the pickup lines up between knobs # 2 and 3 then it's a 60's spacing.