70's Fender p-bass Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by until.tomorrow, May 9, 2003.

1. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    I have a few questions about a 70's fender p-bass. I've recently got into the market for one after hearing them live and from the studio. I fell in love with the tone instantly!
    I went to the local dealer and all they had were re-issues and I want the real deal. Also these re-issues weighted a TON! I've seen people's ebay postings saying that the bass is light but one person's light to another is different. Currently i have a Musicman Sterling which i think is light.
    Another one of my questions is where is a good place to look for them. My local music stores never carry stuff like that and a don't know how much i trust e-bay(the whole buying an instrument without playing it).

Thanks a bunch!
  2. If you are concerned with weight, you may want to steer away from an ash body. I have a '78 P that has a killer tone, but it feels like I have a damn boat anchor over my shoulder when I stand. I've seen other folks post similar comments in other forums about the 70's ash bodies.

That said, wood is a natural material and prone to variation from one piece/body to the next. I've seen quite a few 70's P basses pass through E-bay, but the prices seem way out of line to me. Ditto with www.basspalace.com and www.bassnw.com.

Also, be sure and check for a warped neck. Mine has a bit of "flip" or "ski slope" -- a bit of an upward bow at the body end that truss rod adjustments cannot take out. I tend to set my action high and don't play a whole lot above the 12th fret, so I've just tried to ignore it and go on.

Clarence M.
    Kentucky, USA
  3. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    If you're looking for the real deal, I know a music store near where I live that has one.

Maple fingerboard, three-tone sunburst finish, Badass II bridge. Nice bass.

PM me if you're interested and I'll send you the contact info for the store.