1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 70s Fender Precision Fretless PRICE DROP

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by FenderP, Apr 28, 2015.

1. FenderP

FenderP

May 7, 2005
    Price:
    Strings:
    Fretless:
    • Y
    I am selling a '70s Fender Precision fretless with rosewood neck. I am not the original owner. I purchased this used in Tokyo, Japan in I think 2009 or 2010 (ironic, no? Go to Japan and pick up a USA bass, not a CIJ/MIJ).

Why am I selling this bass? Besides having a Rob Allen fretless which is my main bass, I have another P fretless that is the mate to my fretted. It's a shame to see this one sitting here unused. Thinning the herd is just the natural order of things. I'd like to see this go to a good home.

The body (S/N 635524) is black with a black pickguard. The bass originally had a blonde fretless neck which I sold here in the classifieds years ago. I replaced it with a '78 rosewood fretless neck that I liked better (S/N S885966) since I prefer that look.

Cosmetically, this is a players bass. Anything you see in the pics (link below) is the way I purchased it in Japan - including the treble clef (oh the humanity) symbol on the body and the ding on the heel where you can see the underlying wood of the body. I am just 100% super honest about what it is you're getting. If you're looking for a NOS investment bass, this isn't it.

On the back, you can see where it looks like a

All parts as far as I know are 100% stock. The only thing which may not be is the thumbrest. I made one change to the bass - the pickups. They are actually the original pickups but I had Fralin rewind them to the specification of a 60's P-bass. So looking at the bass you keep that 70s aesthetic, but it sounds killer. The pickups were professionally removed and re-installed by Jon Mouradian at Mouradian Guitars in Winchester, MA. I am not a DIY kind of guy.

The bass was set up by Jon, but feel free to have it redone. It should be ready to play "out of the box" for whoever buys it.

I have the Ibanez gig bag that it came with it when I bought it in Japan as well as a hardshell case I used to carry it around (I believe it's a G&G case, but I'm not sure; either way it's a nice one in black). See the prices depending on which case you want.

i-XDBg3b2-S.

More pictures of the bass can be seen here.

Price and Shipping
    With the work I put in it and the original price I paid, this is really a heck of a deal.
    • $900 including shipping in the lower 48 if you want it in the gig bag.
    • $950 including shipping in the lower 48 if you want it in the hardshell case
    • $975 including shipping in the lower 48 if you want both cases.
    The bass will be professionally packed so it gets to you safe and sound, and it will be insured for what you paid.

If you are outside of the Lower 48, I will use whichever option you choose and then figure out the delta and just add that. I'm not looking to profit on shipping, but with dimensional weight these days, it needs to be accurate.

If this is going outside the USA, you will be responsible for any duties and taxes levied by your country.

I'm also more than happy to sell to a local buyer and not have to ship.

Buy with confidence - my feedback here speaks for itself.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  2. Hi,

You mentioned a serial number on the body. Was this found on a sticker on the underside of the pickguard? If not, where?

Have you dated the potentiometers?

Best regards.

3. FenderP

FenderP

May 7, 2005
    The S/N is clearly seen in the pictures on the metal plate on the back of the body . Around the mid-70s they switched from putting it on the metal plate to the headstock. The body is older (body S/N) and the neck is newer (headstock S/N), but both 70s. Hence the two different S/Ns.

No, did not have Jon take pics of the electronics inside when the work was done years ago, but having owned a few 70s Ps (including my main one I got in 1988), this was and always has been a true 70s. It's one reason I wanted to have Fralin rewind the pickups. Jon Mouradian would have told me if something was amiss. He did when I had a weird '70s MusicMan StingRay with regards to the electronics. He even showed me how screwed up that rat's nest was! I don't have that MM anymore, but one reason I keep going to Mouradian is that they have always been honest with me.

4. FenderP

FenderP

May 7, 2005
    Picture link fixed. Smugmug changed something, and I sorted it out.

5. FenderP

FenderP

May 7, 2005
    Price drop. You won't find many '70s Ps at this price.

6. FenderP

FenderP

May 7, 2005
    Just a quick note - I appreciate sending me trade offers, but I'm not interested in anything. This is for sale only. You are more than welcome to buy this and trade away!

7. FenderP

FenderP

May 7, 2005
    Sale pending.

8. tortburst

tortburst Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2007
    New Jersey
    Thanks

9. Great price, somebody is gonna be happy!