Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

70s fender precisions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by x182, Mar 22, 2004.

1. x182

x182

Mar 22, 2004
    i have heard that vintage instruments are very good compared to todays modern stuff.

Q1:
    why do vintage instruments sound better in terms of tone compared to todays modern active circuits?

Q2:
    how would a 70s precision compare to an Ernie Ball sub?
    [both passive]

Q3:
    how would a 70s precision compare to my current yamaha bbg4sii?
    [which has active pickups and preamp]

im asking because im about to buy a new bass and i want to make the right choice. and i still have a zillion questions for later on as i continue to learn.
    Thanks.

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    answer 1: vintage basses dont sound better, better is a quality that cant be judged. Theres no doubt that basses today are made with better quality as a whole better technology. Vintage basses have a warm sound to them though and are played on most recordings so its "the sound" for most people. Youll find many people on these boards especially that prefer a newer active bass.

answer 2: Ive played sum subs and a vintage P will sound a bit warmer, while being built much better than a sub. A older stingray, or even some newer stingrays play more like vintage p basses, but they are much hotter basses.

answer 3: a vintage 70's pbass will blow your yamaha out of the water, but then again, im not a yammie fan.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    1: They don't necessarilly sound better, but they sound much warmer, which most people tend to love. This is because over the years, vibrations from playing, and just normal every day life that the wood has broken down and opened up to allow for a much warmer tone.

2: I personally happen to like SUB's, but you can get a decent 70's Precision for about $50-100 more, and the vintage Fenders are a much better deal if you ask me. I'd kill for a '77 P-Bass right now, but until then I've got a hotrodded MIM and a Stingray. The two serve me great now.

3: Much better, warmer, and probably looks cooler too.

Good luck with your search.