Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'70's Fender Thumbrests

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tplyons, Jun 4, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What were thumbrests made out of in the '70's. The new replacement ones don't feel like I think they should, were they really the hollow plastic types?

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    My '78 thumbrest is... hollow plastic

-robert

3. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    why dont you make your own from a nice piece of hard wood if you dont like the feel.

4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The 60-70's finger rests are sure made from a different material...it actually a very dark reddish-brown, not black like the reissues are.

The originals also have softer curves than the reissue replacements. I really don't like the RI ones either.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That's what I thought Caca de Kick. I think I may buy a new one for a whopping $6.00 and try to sand the edges down a bit to feel broken in.

6. sorry for a tad of ignorance here, but whats the point in the thumb rests, well, i can see the use of the ones that are above the E string, but what about the ones on the pickguard below the G string ( no puns you lot ), i just dont see it

7. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    I think it was a place to rest your fingers when using your thumb which was a technique often used back in the 60's...there again I could be wrong!

8. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    To what screws do you put the thumbrest into?

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep. Exactly it. However my bass is a '78, a few years after they moved the position of the thumbrest to above the E string.

Since my bass is mostly original, there are holes for it already in the pickguard and body itself. The new thumbrest comes with screws.

10. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    tp,
    I already tried sanding the edges down on one of mine, the edge turned white...looked ugly, ended up finding an original 70's piece instead.

It's just one of those goofy preferences...when I'm playing live I hated hitting or dragging my knuckles across the 'sharper edged' reissue finger rests, the original rounded ones never bothered me.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well,I'd like to get an original but I haven't seen any on eBay in a long time. I'm trying to get my bass as original as possible, plus the Gotoh bridge and Hipshot Xtender. (Original parts in a box at home)