1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

70's Gibson Grabber G-3 $800, good deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MOTORHEADBANGER, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a real tomato

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    I found an old Gibson G3 for $800 at a music store today, it seemed to be in pretty good shape, considering the age, and came with a hardshell case. Is this a good deal or is this fairly common.
    Also I am very tight on cash so I would have to sell my Fender Mike Dirnt P-bass (which I hotrodded with a pickup-selector and a Seymour Duncan Antiquity II jazz bass bridge pickup). So should I keep my bass or sell it for the Gibson?

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Your best bet on prices is to look at completed auctions on Ebay. That way you'll see what kind of condition gets what kind of price. G3's, Grabbers, and Rippers sell there all day long so you'll find several reference prices to go on.

As to whether it's worth selling your Dirnt, that's just a question of how much you like the G3. Strictly subjective taste.

3. I'd do it. Dirnt played a Grabber (or was it Ripper?) way back in the early 90s when I actually had respect for his band.

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

G-3's are great IMO. They sell in the $750-1000 range....

5. 18eranaRic

18eranaRic Banned

Mar 7, 2009
    Malibu, USA
    thought this was against the TB rules?

#3;
    Gear appraisal threads ("What's it worth?") should be posted in the Classifieds forum.

6. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    More like, whats my own gear worth threads aren't allowed.

7. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah this falls in a bit of a gray area with that rule; IMO this one looked more like a legit "what should I pay" query rather than a veiled for-sale post, but maybe it's like double-reverse psychology.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.