Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

70's J sound replacement pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I have a Warwick Corvette and i've been searching for some new pups for it and i want a 70's passive J sound, done some searching on the forum but no answer to my question unfortunately.

I went to the local store and asked if they knew any replacement pups that would fit me, they didn't but they were willing to help me find it.

I like the sound of Geddy's J, Bootsy's etc

:help:

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The 70's J sound is due to pickup placement as well as pickups - the 70's J placement being different than the 60s.
    I'll say this though, in the 70's styled J basses I've played I've loved the Aero Single coils the most. Sadowsky humbuckers sounded good also. Dimarzio Ultra Jazz will give you a scooped slap sound, the Sadowsky are in a similar ballpark tonally but have more mids and a less harsh high end - making them a better overall pickup for the sounds I like.

3. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Thanks David for taking your time posting :)

Anyway, of all the pickups you mentioned the only one available here in sweden is the Dimarzio, and i'm not looking for a scooped sound.

Here's the thing, i'm getting $150 for some pedals i'm trading in at a local store so i can't order from another store. The brands that are available for me to get are Seymour duncan, Dimarzio, fender and Bartolini, but after all i have read here on the forum about these brands, they don't seem to fit what i'm looking for?

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Check the Villex pups. They sound great. Definitely not your ordinary run-of-the-mill J pups, but well worth a checkout.

5. The Fender Vintage Noiseless do a very good passive J sound.
    And no noise. Just put some on my MIA Jazz. They are a gordeous sounding pickup.

6. Very good and informative info Smash!
    Questions: Maybe I missed it but did you ever do a comparison of the Vintage Fender Noiseless Pickups?
    If so, then what do they most compare too?
    Gary

7. I like the sound of Geddy's J, Bootsy's etc

:help:[/QUOTE]

They are too many elements involving with sound ie: bass's body, bass woods, strings and position of pups so you cann't really copy the sound from one to another bass by using the same pups.
    You actually can tell the sound of that bass by playing it unplug so the pups only covert the sound and add a little enhencing only.
    I believed that Warwick has chossen the best pups for that configuration. I don't know if your bass came with EMC or Bassline but if EMC then they are active pups so you need to change the preamps as well since most retrofit pups are passive.

8. Here's the thing, i'm getting $150 for some pedals i'm trading in at a local store so i can't order from another store. The brands that are available for me to get are Seymour duncan, Dimarzio, fender and Bartolini, but after all i have read here on the forum about these brands, they don't seem to fit what i'm looking for?[/QUOTE]

Hey, Becareful with Dimarzio pups as it requites the most cavity of the bass body, the depth !
    The sound is more like a guitar, very bright.

9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Thurisarz, I'm not going to tell you that changing pickups won't improve your sound, My stock thumb came with Barts, dark sounding pickups , dark bass, not a great combo. But geting a 70's Jazz sound won't come that easy!! There are guys with 70's Jazzes that can't get a good or "trademark" 70's jazz sound. There is a lot more involved, body mass, neck joint, weight, (I'm assuming your bass isn't neck thru-the Warwick line does confuse me at times). The woods used plus the aging, I'm guessing your warwick isn't a 70's, so the wood hasn't aged like a 70's. If you like the Geddy Lee it would probably be almost as cheap to buy one used, in the states you can find one for $450US, but the corvette is a different animal then a jazz, I'm not sure what your asking is possible. For example, I've heard Fender Jazz basses with Sadowsky pickups and preamps, they wern't Sadowsky's! and they are far more similar in style and feel then your corvette is to a jazz.

10. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Thanks for your post guys, really appreciate it! :)

i know "if you buy that pickup you will get his and this sound", it's not like that. yes i know there are more things then pickups that depends on how it will sound. My Warwick has the "fender woods" Alder body, maple neck, so i might be in the right direction, nothing else.

After searching the forum and other sites and reading reviews i went for the Fender Custom 60's, i will give them a try and if i don't like it i keep searching.