Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

70's jazz bass bullet russ rod question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dadodetres, Mar 9, 2006.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Hi! im seting up my new 78`jazz, and the relif was to tight.

I turn 1/4 the rod counter clock wise (its in the headstock) and 4 hours later it did nothing. I just turned a little more and it became loose, like it was not adjusting nothing any more....

maybe i have to turn it clock wise....
    I freted the 1st and last fret and checked the high of the string in the 12th fret, and was to low.

2. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Did you loosen the strings?

3. john c

john c

Jan 26, 2006
    I think you check the relief at the 8th fret and fender suggests .015.

4. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    sholdnt i loosen the strings when tighnening the rod? Or also when loosing it?

5. john c

john c

Jan 26, 2006
    Loosen the a and d to make it easier, but not required to loosen all for as far as I know. However, after adjusting the truss rod, tune to pitch and check relief.

6. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    i did, and even in the place were the rod becomes loose the relief is still bad....

any ideas?

7. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    I talked to my professor who owns a 75 jazz since 1975, and he says the rod on his i perfectly straight, and WONT move.

He tryed lots of things this 30 years, and there is no way to make the rod change. He set it up so he can play it, and sounds and plays great!

Anyone have the same experience with his jazz bass???

8. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    If I am reading this correctly, you have your truss rod all the way loose, and the neck is still either too flat, or slightly backbowed. If that is the case, I suggest trying a slightly heavier string set. Go up to the next guage, and see if that fixes the issue.

Lee

9. mariner

mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    I followed someone else's suggestion with my MIJ Jazz, add 3 washers to the truss rod and tighten her up. That should get the action lower. The wood in the pocket can get compressed and the washers allow some additional traction. I may have to add one more for good measure.

10. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

excuse me for my english, but what is a washer?

11. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I was the one suggesting the washers. But, in this case, if I understand the problem correctly, the problem is there's a backbow or not enough relief, so the washer trick won't work. I suggest taking the bass to a repair tech to see what the problem is. It's a rare problem.

Dado, I'm sorry but I don't know what your word for washer would be, but it's a flat disc with a hole in it which is placed on the end of a rod. It isolates the nut from the wood of the neck. That probably made things even less clear. Sorry about that.