Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

70's jazz bass funky tone

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassoptimus, May 24, 2004.

1. so i saw this blues band play at this restaurant, and this bass player probly had the most 70's funky tone ive ever heard, it was awesome. the problem is, is that hes got a deluxe jazz bass (active, more controls and what not) and ive got an american jazz bass. how do i get that 70's funky tone out of a jazz bass?

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    what kinda gear was he play thru?

3. i duno, i had to leave early, i really wanted to check it out, i know that he had a 4x10 though, but im talkin about like... pickup volumes and overall tone and what not on the actual bass, but if it helps ive got a SWR 4004 and matching 4x10

4. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    If you blend toward the neck pickup about a quarter of a turn that should fatten it up a little. I would crank the tone knob all the way and take off from there. I get a killer fat Larry Graham tone with the Bridge pickup on only enough to hear it, the neck full bore and the tone about 3/4 of the way up.

5. alright man, sweet, i think i got a feel of what it would sound like, sucks cuz i litterally JUST broke a string so i gotta go out and get a new set, plus my rig is at my drummers house but ill deffinetly try it out next time i go there, thanks man

6. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas