1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

70's jazz bass pickup contruction!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassman74, Aug 8, 2012.

1. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    What's the constructions difference beteeen 60" and 70's pickup?

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    other than amount of turns, nothing really.

3. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    The difference is more in the bridge pickup's position - the 70s bridge is closer to the bridge by half an inch.

4. damos

damos

Feb 6, 2006
    All the pickups are the same :

I put Antiquity 2 instead a pair of original 67 Fender the sound still be the same.
    The only revolution on pickups is active pickups like EMG.

The Position of the bridge pickup is more an important factor

5. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I believe tthe 60s pickups use 42 gauge PE (plain enamel) which is auburn/dark purple colored, and the 70s use 42 Formvar which is copper colored.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i think SGD dave has mentioned that '70s fenders used some kind of tape around the magnets to insulate them from the wire wraps, and that this tape deteriorated over the decades, causing the wire to go bad too; thus you find more dead '70s pickups than '60s.

7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    plain enamel,heavy formvar, and polysol of the same gauge were all used. turns varied. early 70s pickups had a high occurrence of the insulation on the wire breaking down and shorting against the rod.

8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    That's assuming all the Jazz pickups are constructed and wound the same. If that's the case, then they will sound very similar if not identical.

But there are many Jazz shaped pickups that are not made the same as the stock pickups and don't sound the same either.

The Antiquity pickups are supposed to sound like vintage pickups, so it's not surprising that you didn't hear a difference. Now try replacing them with a Bart, Villex, Delano or one of mine, and it will absolutely sound different. It will still sound like a Jazz bass, but it will have a different tonality.

9. damos

damos

Feb 6, 2006
    hello

There's good pickups makers now like Seymour Duncan, Fralin..
    Bigger choice
    But i don't like overwound pickups like some fender CS or some"hot pickups"
    The pickups is an input device for the output its the preamp that make the gain..

Thanks