1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD 70's MIJ National-Valco LP-477/Les Paul, original HSC

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by JxBass, Jul 10, 2016.

1. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Price:
    Strings:

For Sale Only:
    $250 shipped to Lower 48 only. PayPal preferred.

I bought this MIJ Lawsuit Era bass a few months ago for my son. It's a sharp-looking short scale that would suit him well as he mainly plays guitar, not to mention it being a nice project for me.

I installed a pair of TV Jones Thunder'Blade pickups, replaced a faulty selector switch, and added a temporary bridge before he told me that he no longer needed it. I'm set for basses so up for sale it goes. Here's my best summary, with pics, of its condition:

The Good:
    • It's a really, really nice looking bass in good cosmetic condition for its age of 40 years. The neck is in very good cosmetic condition which doesn't show well in the pics due to reflections.
    • The electronics are quiet and fully functional.
    • I find it very playable despite it needing a better bridge (see below).
    • The case is in excellent condition.
    • The (new) TV Jones pickups alone are worth more than the asking price of the bass :)

Issues:
    • It was missing the bridge when I got it. I installed a temporary bridge while looking for one more compatible with the tailpiece. While the current bridge allows for pretty good intonation, a shorter bridge would allow for better string height on the higher frets. There are small pits in the body from the original bridge (see pic).
    • The tuners work but a new set would work better. I was about to order a set of gold Gotoh tuners before the project was halted.
    • There a a couple of long finish cracks on the rear of the body and a small one on the front of the body (see pics).
    • The tuners and tailpiece have some tarnish and pitting.
    • The truss rod works but I held off on any major neck adjustments, shimming etc. of the neck pending a new bridge.

Summary:

I think it's an extremely attractive, very playable and nice sounding bass in its present condition and I'd have no issue gigging with it as is. Further mods will only enhance it.

Pics:

Case. Body Front. Body Rear. Head Front. Head Rear. Neck Rear. Rear. Plate. Body Cracks. Body Pit Cracks. Bridge Tarnish. String Height. Strings Left. Strings Right.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  2. thegreatmattsby

thegreatmattsby Supporting Member

May 16, 2011
    Chicago
    That's a handsome little bass there. Forgive me if these are easily found online--my quick search didn't turn up much--but what's the scale length and the neck width at the nut? Thanks!

3. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    • Short scale length: 30"
    • 1.75" width at the nut

EDIT: in answer another question: Yes, in addition to the new TV Jones pickups, the original pickups are included.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  4. Hi! Can't quite tell from the pics but is the top arched or flat?

5. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    It's flat, both top and back.

6. jkumnick

jkumnick Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Southern Maine
    Interesting. What part of Maine?

7. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    A tad south of Midcoast.

8. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Regarding the questions on weight, I don't have a scale at home so I don't know its exact weight. My best answer is that it's a solid body that's as light or lighter than my Fender Precision Lyte and nowhere close in weight to my Fender Precision or Aerodyne Jazz.

A very nice level of interest so far. It's boxed and ready to go.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016